Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Been reading on

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by donna.n, Apr 28, 2011.

1. donna.n

donna.n PetForums Member

The net that you have to put all types of bedding in the freezer. Is this true? As Ive never heard of it b4. I'm thinking of getting carefresh tomoro for my 2 rats. Any insight to this will be gratefully appreciated.

2. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Wth, I've never heard that before... and I have had like 10 rodents in my life.

3. donna.n

donna.n PetForums Member

I know I was like you wat. Hope you don't mind me asking but wat bedding do you use. I'm thinking of gettin carefresh but heard that it can be dusty or aspen and Ive read things about that aswell. Im abit like help at the moment cos I dont know which one to get.

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

you dont HAVE to
    some people advise it (or microwaving it for 10 - 30 seconds before use) as it kills mites, but it is not a MUST do, and i have never done it, it is an idea if you have a fluff who is prone to mites

5. donna.n

donna.n PetForums Member

Yeah we haven't got a micro wave so won't be doin that. I'm just abit flustered as to wat bedding to get.

6. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

megazorb is really good

7. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Carefresh is great but tends to be a littlesmelly and a LOT expensive. Some people use finacard and other ones you get in big bales. I use aubiose....horse bedding. Was £9 for the bale and has lasted me months. I used to get carefresh and (I know have a lot of animals) the big bag of carefresh would last me a week...and cost me £14 for the priveledge. But yes carefresh is fine till you can get a cheaper alternative :D

8. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

As Lil Miss said it is advised to put hay and straw in the freezer to kill mites. But then I've had fluffs for decades and can honestly hand on heart say I have never put any bedding in the microwave or freezer and I've never had mites here.

Tbh I think so long as you are careful where you source your hay/straw from mites shouldn't be an issue :)

I use megazorb for bedding for my rats and the only time I have had a URI is when I had to use shavings (stupid mistake :mad:) as I ran out of Megazorb, never again will shavings enter this house :nono:

9. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

I think it depends upon your own circumstances. Always go with your gut.

No to shavings for rats, and I wouldn't use carefresh for the dust and cost.

I had my guys on megazorb and with a week or so everyone was sneezing so that was a no. I've also used finacard and had mite outbreaks on both these beddings.

Only bedding I've never ever had a problems with was plain old carboard squares (ecopetbed). My horse supplier sells it by the bale and one bale does 5 cage bases (21 rodents) over one month at 6.50 a bale.

10. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

What the hell for? Surely, If its a good quality brand it would have already have been treated.

11. donna.n

donna.n PetForums Member

Just got some care fresh for them. I spoke to a lad at p@h and he uses it so gunna give it a go.

12. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

I use carefresh for my hamster (and have been using it with hamsters for just over 2 years now) and have never had any problem with not freezing or microwaving it. Never had any problem with mites. My only gripe with it is how expensive it is.

I have never heard of any of these other brands people are mentioning like megazorb, finacard or ecopetbed. :confused: Are they actually specifically small animal bedding or horse bedding? Would be interested in trying something a bit cheaper but don't want to buy a huge bag of it as I only have 1 cage (although it would be a good excuse for adding to the family :D).

13. donna.n

donna.n PetForums Member

Lol my 2 seemed ok when I changed it this morning. Goin to fone vets in the morning tho as my rat has started making funny noises. And cos it's been a while since I had them im abit worried.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice