Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Been a while

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rott lover, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

after much thought and everything that has been going on we are still no closer to getting a dog. We have had many discussions on this matter and as much as we miss having a rott neither one of us feels we can do it again. I know I just cant do the heart break again. Oliver just took it all out of me. Maybe in time but I just don't see it happening ever again.

2. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Having lost my Cavalier a few months ago I understand how your feeling. It takes a lot out of you when you lose them. We're lucky in that we have our JRT Belle to take some of the pain away, but know we will have to go through it all over again when her time comes. Saying that they have both given us many years of happiness that we wouldn't have known without them. You have to weigh up the pros and cons and only do it again when or even if your ready.

Lurcherlad and Rott lover like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

What about fostering? You could sort of ease your way back in to dog ownership that way?
    And heaven knows there is a huge need for good foster homes.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this I agree fostering might be an idea. Sounds like you offer a lovely home.

margy and Rott lover like this.
  5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Losing Dillon earlier this year we have decided not to have another dog as we still haven't got over our loss. There is a big hole in our lives but we feel nothing is going to replace him and we couldn't go though the pain of losing a another one.:(

Rott lover likes this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I am the same, I don't want another dog, I can't imagine going through that pain again. Unfortunately I will have to have one when my friend dies.

Rott lover likes this.
  7. Rott lover

I thought about that but I think it would be just as bad as in the end we would either suffer the same fate as a foster failure or lose them to another home so kind of the same end.

8. Rott lover

I just really think Oliver broke us both.He was the hardest loss I have ever taken and I just cant go through it again. We go from really wanting another to the reality of the end game. I have never felt like this before. It brings me to tears to even think about it. I know I miss a dog and a house is not a home without a dog and I miss all the things about having a dog but in the end I just cant handle that kind of loss again at this point. It may change givin more time but I think it would have changed even a little after 5 years but it hasn't,

9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Have you fostered before?
    You don't 'lose' the dog, it's nothing like having a dog die. It's joyful when the dog finds a new home. It's sad, but it's also so happy to see the dog move on to a new life, especially after a bad one, and go on to live as they should with a family that dotes on them. It's a wonderful experience :)

And you'd be helping a dog in need. That alone, even if painful, is worth it if it helps a dog who wouldn't get help otherwise :)

Rott lover and margy like this.
  10. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

5 years is still not that long really, it took me 23 years to be ready again.

Rott lover likes this.
  11. Alexliu

Alexliu PetForums Newbie

attempt to keep in mind your companion by maintaining the enjoy alive. Maybe frame a photo of the pet, grow a plant within your pet’s memory, produce a symbolic gravestone, or, should you cremate your pet, keep the ashes somewhere special. Keeping the memories of your beloved companion full of life could be the best way to get with the grief.

Rott lover likes this.
  12. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

We lost Bella last December, we stayed in a hotel as I couldn't stand being the house. Losing her is the hardest thing I have ever been through and still find it hard most days (actually was only crying about an hour ago as I was dusting her). When we got Luna in may I worried that if resent her, not love her, not bond with her, or worse that she would replace Bella.
    But I am besotted with Luna I love her, totally bonded with her (and very quickly, probably because she broke her leg) and she could never replace Bella I still miss her but Luna has helped heal a broken heart.

There is no wrong or right way to deal with grief but I'm so glad we got Luna it's helped make the 2nd part of this year be filled with laughter, love and joy which in January I didn't think would be possible.

Rott lover, Animalfan and margy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice