Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bedtime Problems - Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by petlover2602, Feb 27, 2008.

1. petlover2602

petlover2602 PetForums Newbie

Dougal Came to live with us yesterday lunchtime, and he had been great all evening, untill it came to bedtime. We had walked him, and he had done his business, then we put him in his bed and closed the door, going in at 5 minute intervals and gradually building up hourly checks.
    It took him ages to lie down and sleep. Can anyone point out where we might be going wrong? Thanks in advance! :)

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

:eek: Give him a chance! :D
    Firstly I think you should cut down on the checks. He obviously wont be able to settle and sleep if you disturbing him all the time.
    You should ignore any whinning if you can or he will learn that this makes you come running. If he does carry on though you can try a number of things to help settle him.
    I would give him a dog chew to keep him occupied. You could also leave a dim nightlight on for him or even a radio.
    Give him a chance to settle in though before you decide what is a problem but in all honesty it sounds perfectly normal and I cant see the problem. ?!
    Best wishes and be patient! :D

3. petlover2602

petlover2602 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for that, i'm just very keen for him to be happy!!!!

4. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I really wouldnt worry. It sounds like you had a good night as it could have been much worse! At least he was able to settle in the end which is the main thing. Some dogs howl all night when they move to a strange place. :)

5. tracyi

tracyi PetForums Junior

I totally agree, I'm sure if you give him a bit of time he'll settle in nicely - don't panic

6. bully

bully PetForums Junior

hi when i got my pup she cried all night ending up my husband ended up sleeping on the kitchen floor with her lol...then a friend said to try the radio and it worked ;) hope you are having a goodnite sleep now :p

7. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

when we first had odis he was the same.
    he didnt settle at all.
    we put a clock that ticks in with him and he was fine after that.
    just give him time...he will settle down...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice