Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bedtime for Henry

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by imfloppy, Jul 23, 2009.

1. imfloppy

imfloppy PetForums Newbie

Hi Just a quick question we have a kitten arriving in a few weeks(soooooooo excited),We havent had a cat in the past so sorry if its a silly question. Where does a cat sleep will he be ok downstairs on his own? Is he better upsatirs with us although having two small children and most nights having broken sleep i really dont want to be woken further by another baby in need of a cuddle! Ihave a large hall upstirs although there is room for a bed dont want him to fall through the staircasee spindles!!Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Mine have a huge cat post thingy downstairs with built in box beds. I also have various beds dotted round the house.

Saying that, they normally just follow us up to bed and sleep with us :D

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

to avoid lack of sleep any more than you have already id keep him downstaires. Sheldon doesnt have a bed. he sleep anywhere. winter with me summer next to window.

he does have a cushions bed on his post which he somtimes uses and his own blanket which he also uses.

you cud get him a fleece learn him thats his and where he is safe and then whereever you put it he shud sleep.

also he may cry wen you 1st leave him downstaires but try your hardest to ignore him he will eventually learn that its bed time. you cud try setting a routine so goin to bed the same time every nite or doin somethin b4 bed and then again wen you get up.

youll need to reward him wen you do get up so he nos your comin back and him bein alone to sleep is always followed by somethin good :)

hope this has helped a little

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Mine sleeps in the kitchen he has a comfy bed and is happy enough just sqeaks when he heres me moving around in the morning. Hes only around 7 months so very lively and if i let him have the run of the house at night id be awake all night. Im sure your cats will be fine downstairs.

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Ohhhh - a new kitten :D I've got five cats & they have the run of the house. They all choose to sleep upstairs - a couple on the end of my bed, the others on different beds on the landing. By the time I wake up, most of them have gone downstairs into the conservatory to catch some rays, lol!! It's up to you where you want the kitten to sleep - just make sure that you don't mind him being on the bed/upstairs before you start or you're doomed forevermore, lol!! When I've had a new kitten, I've always kept them in the bedroom with me so I can keep an eye on them & I keep the others out & the door shut. That's also so that when they wake up early I can grab a pouch, empty it into a bowl & go back to sleep, lol!! :blushing: If you keep it downstairs, make sure it's safe - no wires to chew on etc - & cosy, but be prepared to give in when he cries 'cos he's lonely & wants to come to bed with you :D Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice