Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bedlington Trim

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by MissBexi, Apr 8, 2011.

1. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Anyone who knows me will know I have Bedlington Terriers and anyone whose seen them will know that they're Breed Standard Trim can be quite the nightmare lol. I do work in a Groomers though I've just to be fully confident with the Bedlington Breed Standard. Also most of our Bedlingtons are clipped due to work reasons.

Well today, a lady came in with her Bedlington, gorgeous boy. And she was after the Breed Standard. I heard her telling my boss how she'd had awful experiences with recent groomers as they clipped her boy completely off, including the head.. She was horrified. So as you can imagine she's gonna expect a lot from us our of course we'll provide our best service.
    The lady left and OMG I heard the words "Come see your Auntie Becki" And my boss only says that when she's given me the dog to do!! :eek: panic! I've never been so nervous about doing someones dog in all the time I've been there.
    The dog was fantastic, stood perfectly and was just a lovely dog to do, sadly his coat hadn't fully grown in so one side of his face was slightly shorter, which buggered me but the owner said she wanted to grow his hair out so not to take it much shorter.
    Anyways the time came when she arrived to pick him up and I'm not kidding I felt ill, I was so worried. Everyone said he looked fantastic but it's the owners opinion that really matters and I've never done a complete Breed Standard on my two, only little bits and I've never used a 10" on them.

Thankfully the owner was so pleased, she was so happy with him and the first thing she said was "OMG he looks like a proper Bedlington, he looks gorgeous"
    I love it when something like that happens cause now I've realised that I can do a pet trim Bedlington and I shouldn't worry so much about it if a owner asks for it.

:thumbup: Successful day! Fingers crossed she comes back lol.

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Fantastic well done :thumbup:
    I can imagine how hard it must be, I expect so much from my groomers :001_smile:

3. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Thank you..
    I'm such a perfectionist and with a breed like that it's just awful at times. I could have tweaked that dogs coat for another 2 hours. lol. But it's really boasted my confidence. Now considering doing Bailey in full Breed Standard.

4. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

I typed a great reply and then the internet cut out! Actually I was just saying that its good to hear the other side of the grooming situation as my friend was complaining (with just cause) the other day. she has two bedlingtons and was trying out yet another groomer to try and get them groomed to the bedlington standard rather than a poodle!! Unfortunately the latest groomer took the skin off the back of one of the bedlington's legs so she ended up at the vets with them!! If you have any tips to suggest to her to ask then that would be great. She does carry around a picture of the breed standard clip in her handbag to show potential groomers.:)

5. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Ouch the poor dog, I know my fiance tried to help me out by washing my two Beddies (I was so busy grooming everyone elses dogs, I couldn't get mind done lol) And whilst he was trying Bailey, he use a slicker brush just a little too rough and he felt awful cause it did make the skin bleed and he just felt so bad for it, even though it was an easy mistake lol. But it take the skin off, hope they paid the vets bill!

Being a groomer myself, I would never risk taken my dogs to another groomer and not just because I'm a groomer but because at least if I mess the dogs hair up it's my fault, it if was someone else, I just wouldn't be impressed lol. Also from what I’ve been told my many Bedlington owners, a lot of groomer either charge a fortune or don’t do them correctly ie. Clip them all off.
    Well at our Salon if my other colleague or the boss takes a Bedlington booking them they usually mention that we in fact have a Bedlington Owner in the shop, me =] lol. Even though I’m never 100% confident with the trim as it takes years to completely master to Show standards, I do know how they are meant to look. I’ve actually got so use to doing the face of a Bedlington that when I do a Poodle I completely forget how to do it lol.
    Find out if the groomer has done Bedlingtons before or if they have many Bedlington clients. We have roughly 6/7 Beddies on our books though non of them are complete Breed Standard, most are working and clipped off whereas the rest are usually clipped off on the bodies and then breed standard face but without the tassels and not with a 10# blade lol.
    Usually taken a photograph should be enough to let the groomer know that you are after the Full Breed Standard. Are her dogs usually matted? Some owners (not just Bedlingtons) come in expecting miracles when the dogs are so badly matted that they can’t do the job though this should be stated before the dog is groomed and checked that the owners are completely happy with it. How many groomers has she tried? Also curious as to how much they charge her? I’ve heard some ridiculous prices for Bedlingtons, I know they can be a lot of work but I know one lady who was charge £40. We only charge £28.50.
    I really hope she finds a groomer for her two.. I love Bedlingtons, wish I was closer lol

6. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I do love the ears on a Bedlington. There was one that lives here that was done really nice and to breed standard but I've never saw a pet one look as nice since. I think most groomers think 'Well the coat is poodly so I think I'll just be lazy and make them look like a poodle.' They aren't a really popular breed either so I suppose unless a groomer owns one then they aren't going to be doing one often.

7. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I know they aren't common, I think most Beddie owners have opted to groom them themselves. And I wouldn't blame them, the thing is.. Just for a pet trim, which doesn't need to be show standard, any groomer can follow a pattern from a grooming book, that's how I learnt it, I studied it v.carefully and figured out how to improve things (Though I had my two to practice on) lol.
    I'll admit I've never done complete Breed Standard, the thought of using a 10# blade on a dogs coat is mad, even though I've done it on Poodles and for certain areas, these are my babies lol. But after the dog I did last week, I think I'm going to give Bailey a Full Breed Standard trim, rats tail and ears and with the correct blades. I usually use a 7# I'm a wimp with my two lol

8. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Guessing you've never used a 30 or 40 blades on a dog then? :p Cheeko's groomer doesn't like using anything less than a 10 on poodles faces. Just use a 40 and get it over with :eek: Jack has really nice feet so I love them closely shaved to show them off.

The coat will always grow back so just go ahead and do the full trim! I'm going to do some scissoring on Jack tomorrow that I learnt today. Shall see how it turns out :p

9. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I have used a 40 blade but never on the face or really the main body, just feet. lol. I know it'll grow back. I'm gonna go for it lol. Good luck on your scissoring today :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice