UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I think this is quite a common problem and am just looking for some advice and support. Also wondering how many other owners may have experienced this and managed to solve it - or not.

So we had 2 cats for many years - our elder died last year at the fine age of 22. We now have two utterly lovely new kittens - a brother and sister. They were sold to us as aged 10 weeks but on their first trip to the vet a day or so later, he reckoned nearer 8 weeks - annoying but not a disaster as they would still have had a reasonable amount of learning time with their mum.

They are model kitties - eat up well, play wildly, sleep like logs, sociable and great fun and diligently use their litter trays every time.

The one exception is if they get on our bed. That seems to be an *instant* prompt for the boy-kitten to do an enormous wettie. It has happened three times - but happens nowhere else in the house and sofas, carpets and so on are all untouched.

What is it about our bed then, and can we stop this?

While we're out, we leave a tarpaulin on the bed (romantic, huh?) and this has so far completely protected it - even though they hop around on the tarpaulin - he has not weed on it.

I have laundered and dry-cleaned - would it be wise to try removing the tarp, waiting for him to hop up, and then immediately whisking him on to the litter tray (which - also romantically - is right by the bed)?

They're just back from second vet trip so no health issues or UTIs to report.

Will it stop in time?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Ruxpin our kitten did this the first time we let him in the bedroom. Apparently it reminds them of comfy and comfort and so they feel the urge to relieve themselves. We washed the bedding & duvet and sprayed the end of the duvet he used with "behaviour spray" and not happened since.
Hope he stops as its not nice but lovely to have bedtime cuddles!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Strange question, but what kind of duvet do you have? I've had a problem with a kitten peeing on my bed and I think it's to do with my feather filled duvet! It's sort of crispy and she can "dig" in it.

I've laundered everything & it hasn't happened again since. I've also added a tray in the bedroom, in a corner, just temporarily. I think sometimes as kittens they are also easily distracted when playing & forget they need to walk down the hall to the litter tray!

Good luck :)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Archie has done this 3 times. The first time when we first got him and I didn't know if he had been locked in the bedroom.
We had to buy a new Bed:( Luckily it was an old bed and needed renewing.
I then invested in an expensive waterproof mattress cover that doesn't rustle and make a noise when you are in bed.
Thank goodness I did because a few months later he did this again.
He only does it where I lay. So I don't know if it is to do with my scent that he does this.
The vet did say that some cats just do this as marking their territory.
They did say it is quite common.
So we keep the bedroom door shut in the day.
He is ok to sleep on the bed if I am in it.

So I would keep the bedroom door shut.
You need a special spray that breaks down the enzymes in the cat urine. Spray on the bedlinen and leave for a few minutes to soak in before you wash it. Otherwise they can still smell where they have been and do it again.
Also invest in a waterproof mattress cover. They do work.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
I agree with Jill - weeing in your bed can often be scent-marking behaviour. Your male kitty is probably scent-marking you and your bed as *his* territory!:) ("Me Tarzan, you Jane" kind of thing:lol::lol:)

If it is for this reason then it could be difficult if not impossible to stop the behaviour. So either best to shut the kitties out of the bedroom if you are not there, or else put a plastic sheet over the top of the bed when you are out and cover it with an old blanket for appearances sake!

He won't wee on the plastic as it won't smell of you in the same way your sheets and duvet do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi

I had this problem too. I used Simple Solution Cat Spray & Urine Stain & Odour Remover (amazing stuff which you can buy from [email protected] but think its cheaper online) to remove the stain and discourage repeat soiling. I also cleaned the bedlinen with bio washing powder and ended up getting a new duvet.

We also stopped them from coming into the bedroom.

The lady at [email protected] recommend feeding them on the bed as they wont soil where they eat. I fed them treats on the bed. My kitten has stopped soiling the bed now so he has outgrown it or the scent isnt there. Good luck - I know how stressful it can be :(

s

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for helpful replies - a quick update is that we've made some progress, in letting him on the bed with us hovering nearby ready to scoop him up - and no wetties. He also managed to get under the tarpaulin and again - no wetty. Maybe just being a week or two older and getting familiar with his surroundings helped.

Next step is to repeat e experiment with one if us in the bed - fingers crossed!

Thanks again - much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again -

Just wanted to pop back and let everyone know that ever since my last post, we've had perfect behavior from both kittens bed-wise; they quite happily play on it with us in it and, I have to report, sneak in and go to sleep with us - and no wetties at all.

So thank you again for sharing good advice and help - much appreciated!

LD x

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this same problem. Originally my boy did this three times and it stopped once I had him neutered, so I figured it was territorial.
He has now begun it again, on a much larger scale which I believe to be stress/diet related.

Has yours been neutered yet? It may help with the problem. If not, have there been any changes to the household which may have upset/stressed him out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.