Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bed time routine

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lindsay Cotton, May 27, 2018.

1. Lindsay Cotton

Lindsay Cotton PetForums Junior

Hi guys. I'm looking for some advice. We bought a border collie pup 2 days ago and wondering what's best for her bed time routine. At the minute she's in a dog crate in our bedroom. We don't feel comfortable her being anywhere else in the hose because we have 2 cats. 1 cat tolerates the pup but the other is scared of her. We were thinking about keeping her in the crate in our room at night until the cats are used to her but is this the best way for her to get used to bed time routine. Will moving her out of the crate or into another room confuse her. Plus she cries and is very noisy at night and we don't want to cheese off the neighbours. Any advice is much appreciated

2. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I would advise that you decide what you think is practical for all in the long term and aim for that ASAP. Routine should be just that so avoid change and implement a fixed routine asap.
    My dog sleeps on her own bed in my room and always has. She gets let out for a last pee and has a last drink just before we go to bed and knows exactly what we do and when. Its all very predictable but works.

3. Lindsay Cotton

Lindsay Cotton PetForums Junior

I can't let her out yet as she only had her first injection yesterday. I really want her to get used to the crate as she'll be staying in there when me and my partner are at work (not for long periods obviously). I don't mind her sleeping in our room long term actually. It's just a pain at the mo because she cries and howls so much. Me and partner have had very little sleep recently but that's to be expected.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Have you used her crate for feeding...for Kong's, chews..Google crate games. So your puppy relates to the crate as somewhere good to be.

Upset especially at night is because no litter mates or mum to snuggle to and the room, bed as well as crate and routine all different. A gentle hush sometime help to soothe them to sleep and a bit of petting. Of course waking in the night is usually toilet trip.

It will get better, and in the big scheme of its i tiny bit of a dog's life you are dealing with.

The more reassurance given now, usually means the more confident puppy and dog in the long run.

5. Luciferette

Luciferette PetForums Member

Hi, my first dog was a dreadful sleeper as a pup, but I now know that it was my fault not his. Mac is a different kettle of fish! Thanks to the wonder that is a Snuggle Pup, I think. They're not cheap, but for me it's been a godsend. I wrapped a bit of cloth round Mac's breeder round it, switched on the heartbeat and put him in his crate by my bed -- success! I set my alarm for once/twice in the night to take him out for a wee, and then he slept til the alarm went off in the morning.
    Wait til you get to 6 months and THEN they decide they hate their crate and breakfast time is 5.30am :) ...

6. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I found a nice big teddy in the crate settled my pup really well. Within minutes of putting her in there she would snuggle right into it. Every time she woke me up crying I would take her out to go to the toilet and at first that was like every 3 hours but she did go toilet pretty much every time. Now I let her have a drink and take her out to go toilet and then put in the crate about 10pm. I'm getting woke up now pretty much every morning at 4 for her to go toilet and then she wakes me up at about 5ish. This time isn't to go toilet though, all she wants to do is play then have her food lol. Don't get me wrong though, this isn't all the time just most of it lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice