Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bed recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BenBoy, Sep 15, 2013.

1. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

We have recently done our lounge up and have a lovely cream sofa which Ben WONT be allowed on (she says). I am looking for a nice bed for him we can put in there. He wont sleep on this as he has his crate, so it will just be for the evenings. It needs to be more tempting than the sofa:rolleyes:

I want something with sides as he likes to rest his head. I want it to be machine washable and not lose its shape.

In an ideal world where money grows on trees, this is what I would get :wink:

Memory Foam Dog Bed / Faux-Fur Deep Dish Dog Bed with Memory Foam -- Orvis UK

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Tuffie nests are super but not cheap:

Dog beds from Tuffies: view and purchase our luxury dog beds.

However, they are half the price of the Orvis beds for a Labrador sized dog. In terms of value for money, you are hard pushed to beat Tuffies. Mine have the mattresses rather than the nests but they are still in tip-top condition after 5 years. That is 5 years of pure abuse, too -- having a stinking, often wet or muddy dog sitting or 'digging' (before they lay down) on them for most of the day! so absolutely superb on a cost per use basis.

3. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Thank you, I did look at the Tuffie nests, they just don't look that attractive! What size have you got?

4. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

What about a toddler bed? we use one for perry. he has a duvet and all where he snuggles up with

5. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

6. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

We got it of freecycle, worth a look and looks nice too

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

8. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Nice idea;

GULLIVER Bed frame with slatted bed base - IKEA

Think I would have to buy a mattress as well and think it would make the lounge seem small with that in there!

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Tuffies Mattresses all the way - you can get nice fleece covers too.

10. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

11. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I don't disagree with you re: the nests. Compared to likes of the Orvis beds, they are not as nice looking. But in terms of practicality they beat the Orvis beds hands down. As nice as the Orvis beds look, I could not justify spending £250 or more on a bed that I know within a couple of weeks will be stinking of dog and covered in mud and hair. They look great in the pictures but that is not reality for most dog owners - a pristinely clean bed! especially when you have a large breed with a passion for getting dirty.

The advantage of the material that Tuffies are made from is that hair can be brushed off. It can also be hosed down and hand scrubbed with soap and within a couple of hours (depending on the weather) it's dry and as good as new. So no faffing around with lint rollers, unzipping covers, clogging up the washing machine, etc.

Fabric harbors smells quickly but Tuffies do not. This is why I would never go back to using fabric dog beds as standard.

12. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

13. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

That being said after me raving about Tuffies, I do also have one of these from Zooplus:

Cosy Mocca Dog Bed: Free P&P on orders £25+ at zooplus!

Which we have had for around two years now. It's in our living room so the dogs can chill on something comfy while we are watching TV etc. The dogs love it but the inside cushion, like most cheap cushions, went flat very quickly. The outside 'donut' is still perfect though. What I did was replace the cushion it came with with 3-4 layers of vet bed. That keeps it super comfortable and obviously the vet bed can be washed easily to keep it smelling fresh.

It would recommend one of these if Tuffies are out of your price range. BUT fabric beds are not really practical so IMO Tuffies are worth the investment.

14. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

15. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Mine have a cheap but huge fabric bed that can be washed, from a market stall. Was bought for Jack as he sleeps next to the bed, hasn't started smelling yet and we've had it a good couple of months. Pen has killed the fabric though and has chewed a hole in it.

They also have Gor pets dog beds which are fabric too, they lasted a while but someone pee'd on one so that was thrown out, the other is in the corner of the living room for the dogs. The sides have flattened a little but not loads. Would link you but they discontinued the type of bed.

And last week they got their Sonny dog beds with tough and mucky mattresses. They only really use their beds when they are wet. Thats when they stay in the kitchen. I wanted something that wasn't fabric and that was hygenic.. these fit the bill and so far I am happy with them.

16. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

17. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

18. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

That would be moi. :D. I think I will be ordering a couple too but like you not sure which ones ! I thought they were fab for the money and they are made from hardwearing car seat cover material apparently so could probably be wiped down

19. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

I can be of NO help on this one,
    We also have white settees but put throws on them, and Reilly IS allowed, but actually chooses not to sleep on the settees, think she gets too hot.
    She has destroyed every bed we have bought her including 2 Orvistough chew beds ( that in itself was 500.00 down the drain) and she never has actually slept in a bed, just sees them as giant toys. She prefers the bare floor or a towel and so
    We have now reverted back to vetbed, which she may put her head on.

Good Luck on your search, I would say don't go with the Orvis, they look nice, but TBH I think they are totally overated!

#19 bluesupero, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  20. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Its a shame the sofa the in laws gave us which cost them a bomb as is in as new condition is cream really otherwise I wouldn't be bothered. We haven't moved in there yet and are on our dark sofa in the other room with Ben cuddling up to me which I will miss :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice