Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bed Bugs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fleur, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My daughter thinks she has Bed Bugs :(
    She is covered in small red bumps and is itching all over
    Does anyone know anything about bedbugs - does this sound like them?

She works in a charity shop so it constantly handling fabrics etc so could of easily bought them home.

And does anyone know the best way to get rid of them?

Today she stripped the bed - hoovered the bed and carpet twice - washed the bedding in a hot wash and has hoovered all cushions, sofas, curtains and carpets in the house.

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Someone posted a few weeks ago about them Fleur ..I'll see if I can find it ..hope it wasn't one of them removed , :wink:

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I watched a programme on infestations, it dealt with bed bugs in the episode I watched and it said if you lift the mattress during the day you will see them, they are larger than fleas and easy to spot. Hope she's wrong, they are incredibly hard to eradicate according to that programme.

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

5. Fleur

Thanks - I'll have to get her to check properly for signs such as dark spots on the bedding and mattress
    Going by Catzmm8tz thread it's going to be difficult to get rid of them if it is them :(

6. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

#6 DogLover1981, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  7. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Oh no :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have a small lodging biz so am acutely aware of bedbugs. Just hearing the word makes my skin crawl. :eek: Have been fortunate in never having them. :D I check constantly between guests, have 'bedbug proof' mattress encasing and luggage valets so suitcases don't end up on the bed. Luggage is a big culprit in bedbugs getting a free ride anywhere in the world!

What to look for are small brown apple seed sized or smaller specks to indicate bed bugs are present. If I ever see one I will freak.

Bedbugs have nothing to do with cleanliness. They are just extremely adaptable and will catch a ride anyway they can. They are resistant to most pesticides in use today. Once established they are very difficult to eradicate.

Here in the states they are epidemic in most major cities, including Denver. Even movie theaters have them so it's quite likely she could have gotten them from her job. Some high end NYC boutiques have them :eek: I won't drop any names.

Best of luck to her and please keep us updated. Hopefully it's just some skeeter bites.

#7 Toby Tyler, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Waterlily likes this.
  8. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

oh gross, lol arent they really hard to rid completely without tossing all the mattress, bedding etc out?

9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

do you have a pic of what they look like?

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

12. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

I know a fellow down in Denver who's apartment was infested. He used this and claims it worked, actually swears by it:

Bed Bug Spray - Organic Insect Repellent - CedarCide

Supposedly non toxic, but don't know if it's available in her area. Link has pics and good info.

13. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

They do kind of look like small roaches :eek: But they BITE :eek: :eek: :eek:

14. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

I think i heard once that if you put a bowl of hot water on the mattress they are attracted by the heat so you can confirm if you have them?? - google it ;)

I think you can buy stuff online, when i've been working abroad I've always taken a permethrin impregnated under sheet thing, once stayed in a place with 8 other people, me and my vet friend were the only 2 not eaten alive one night- everyone else woke up with so many bumps.

Good luck!!

Keep us posted!

15. Fleur

Thanks for all the information everyone - I'll pass it on to her tomorrow.
    I've found this site, so may have to order some bug bombs for her
    BedBug Killer Fumers | Pest Control Supplies

Reading up on them they can live on animals as well, the article I read mentioned dogs and cats, she has a house Rabbit, can anyone with rabbit experience advise on safe treatments for the rabbit?

16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

yesh, the lil' blighters are getting everywhere!!:(
    I have bed bugs at the moment (even saying it makes me itch!:eek:). Got so freaked out that other then emptying the litter trays and putting food out in the cats bedroom and throwing away bags of linens and clothes I havent even been in my bedroom for 3 weeks!
    Best way to catch them is to search late at night coz they are nocturnal and they like to hang out under mattresses (esp in the creases at the edge), also tucked away in drawers, skirting, light fittings near the bed.

Generally anything you can buy over the counter to erradicate them wont work as you need some pretty serious chemicals. The eggs are also impervious to poisons and live a long time so one or two treatments wont do it. Ive got the exterminator coming in for a course of treatments (2 weeks apart, then after another month, finally after about 3-4 months). Also will have to throw my bed and mattress out, as if Id sleep on them now!:rolleyes:
    They will have to fumigate any room where people are sleeping to make sure. As I its only me and bed bugs dont care about animals I got away with just moving all the pets downstairs until a few hours after it was done.

It is a horrible thing to find though. Very stressful and makes you feel like a leper!:(

17. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I'd be emptying my bedroom out totally and replacing the bed and bedding completely lol, screw playing with them I'd need them gone :D

18. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

That's what I would suggest - toss everything - in fact if you can, burn it! Hoover carpets (ALL of them and dust with bug killer - you probably won't be able to sleep in the room for a couple of days, until you have killed the little buggers and hoovered the stuff out again), put stuff down on all hard floors and wash all hard surfaces with appropriate stuff. Bolws of water/insecticide for your bed legs to go in if poss.

If she's ucky, it'll just be fleas. Bed bugs STINK as well. If they smell awful, that's them!

Best of luck - they're horrible.

19. Cheryl89

Oh my god guys I have shivers :( x :nonod:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice