Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Becoming a breeder

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by jenns1987, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jenns1987

jenns1987 PetForums Newbie

I would like to become a breeder in 5 to 10 years and I would like some information. I plan to go to college later this year to become a vet tech but I'm wondering if 20-30 thousand a year is enough to breed cats because I know it is expensive. I would only breed cats if I can do all the health testing and show them and do everything responsibly. How do you become a breeder?

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Hi there

There's actually a really good thread on here from someone who asked the same question as you. Have a look in the breeding section and you'll find it. It has a similar name to yours.

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-breeding/215985-cost-breeding.html

:laugh:

this was for someone who wanted to breed NFC's so can change it to your cat, but if you work full time, personally how can you breed? say mum is due to give birth can you take 8 + weeks off incase you need to hand feed? you need to be there 24/7 round the clock incase the kittens need you... dont see how its possible, but thats just me.

Have you ever owned a NFC? go on the TICA & GCCF websites and view the standard, what can you bring to the bred? What is your reason for breeding them? to further them? r.e. the standard?

for example (I dont know the NFC breed so ill go for bengals)
    Example: bengals, you have a lovely snow girl, nice type (flat nose no bump) not very good markings, short tail, big ears.

stud one: champion all throughout his pedigree, his a snow, never been shown himself, amazing markings, bit on the small side, big ears, type is nose bump.

stud two: pretty unknown pedigree, ok markings, big, fantastic type, brown, short tail, amazing type, got bob (best of breed) at his first show.

so who do you choose...? Basically you need to know what your girl has to both compliment and give to the mating & the same for the stud!

You need to: 1. get a NFC off of a good breeder, show her & get to know the standard, best to get a neuter first. Make friends with the NFC community around where you are and further out, find breeders near you with open studs (never ever get a stud first - id wait a min of 5 + years) you might find you need to travel 2hours each way, not alot of NFC breeders about esp with open studs (will be hard!)

what colours are you looking at? and why those colours? the lines, you need to start now looking at the lines and breeders all about, get to know what they produce, you may even want to import at a later date...

health tests for the breed (langford vets are good to visit for that) are they in the lines you have choosen do the breeder do that? erm, god, so much to think of!! gccf/tica standards will differ slighty, if you want a gccf prefix join a NFC club asap as you have to be a memeber for over a year for them to sign to let you have a prefix. tica you can just buy one.

ask your breed if she will mentor you, Id start doing all of this now even if it is in the future, I did many many years before I started, shows dedication and knowledge aswell.

but NFC is a small community so they will all know eachother, if you havent owned one before Im pretty sure they wont just sell you one on active so a show/neuter is best to go for, and sort out contracts /vet that will neuter kittens before they go, how to revieve a kitten at birth, how to help mum given birth to a kitten thats stuck, how long to wait to rush her to the vet, have a minimum of £1,000+ put away for the first litter, thats After buying mum shows and mating fees health tests, incase of a c-section, learn how to hand rear a litter, look for signs of calling, so much to say that I cant think!

alot of research and hard work coming your way lol!

4. CatsofAvalon

CatsofAvalon PetForums Junior

What Taylorbaby has said is true, but, I think learning for 5-10 years will be a pleasure for you. If you are going to vet college you will learn some of the things you need to know, but also go to as many shows (GCCF/TICA etc) as you can.

First to find out what breeds you love, second to get some experience stewarding and getting to know other breeders. This will help you to develop an eye for your chosen breed and to make friends with people who share similar views - not all breeders are the same, for instance, some are indoor only breeders, others allow some outdoor access to varying degrees.

Read up on the registry rules and carry on finding out things out - and yes, do get a show neuter to start with from a breeder who you trust.

Just a quick tip - I got my prefix very early - it shows other breeders that you are committed to a high standard of breeding (and it meant that my first litter was in my prefix name.) The time to do this is before you go to stud.

Lots of cat breeders I know are vet nurses, so financially it can be done, it depends what you are prepared to go without! :eek:
    What I will say is, insurance doesn't cover for pregnancy-related conditions so you always need to have enough money aside for a caesarian if necessary. That is £500 - 700.

Good luck, looks like you are really passionate about becoming an ethical breeder!

5. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

You can get insurance to cover pregnancy related problems. I have such a premium... not much more expensive than the insurance for my neutered cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice