Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

because you understand - crying after cattery drop off

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by claire8234, Jul 20, 2017.

1. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

I've just blubbed all the way home from the cattery like a right wally. When we go away my mum pops in and feeds him, I dont get upset at leaving him and dont worry about him at all when are away.

We're off in our camper tomorrow for a long weekend and my parents are pitching up too so my regular pet sitter is unavailable!

I've never used a petsitter and tbh my OH and I wouldnt feel comfortable having a stranger in our house and giving them a door key. So Stitch went to the cattery.

It's one I have used before, albeit a long time ago. my heart sank when I got there.

The cattery was not how I remembered it at all, really quite dilapidated and just not very nice. The girl who booked him in was just going to take him off me and looked puzzled when I insisted on carrying him and going to a pen. I was glad I did go with her as she was going to pop him in the middle until I reminded her he hates other cats and could he go at the end.

nasty, boring old pen with just a plastic garden chair in the inner pen (no idea what that was for) and a really narrow ledge that I assumed was bed - no ideal for a 5kg cat like Stitch.

He was practically glued to the floor and slunk off to hide inside the inner pen. I feel awful for leaving him there. The kennel worker was very sweet and I have no doubt she'll look after him but I feel guilty for taking him there.

All he can see is the cat next to him (I couldnt see any sneeze guards or screening) along with the sound of dogs barking from the kennels.

I'm not knocking catteries at all, he used to go to an amazing one when we lived in Leicestershire and I was always happy to leave him, plus in an emergency or in the event of major work going on in our house its handy to be able to take him to a cattery and know he is safe.

Thankfully he is only there 4 nights.

:Arghh:Arghh

#1 claire8234, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

We understand completely.

At least it isn't for very long. And when you get back you can investigate nicer places to take him for next time.

Just be prepared for the short term cold shoulder when you get back :)

Have a nice weekend away.

ewelsh and claire8234 like this.
  3. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Aaahh. My heart bleeds for you n stitch. So very sorry.

4. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Doesn't sound the best cattery :(
    Luckily my neighbours usually feed Brooke when I'm away or, for short breaks, I use the auto feeder. When I have used the cattery I take her own scratching post, cat igloo and a small selection of favourite toys.

claire8234 likes this.
  5. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Aww, I'm sorry you feel so sad, I totally empathise as it's one of the reasons we haven't had a holiday in 10 years!! I will feel exactly the same if we ever do leave him at a cattery, and my husband won't do the pet sitter thing either.

Bless you lovely, try and enjoy your break and have a good old surf round for somewhere when you get back so you feel happier next time xx

Purplecatlover and claire8234 like this.
  6. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

He will adore me for the first 30mins when we get home and then he wont come near me until hunger forces him too!

MilleD likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

8. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Awww poor you, it is unsettling. Stitch is safe that's all that matter's and when you get home you can take your time finding a better cattery for next time.

He will be fine, just stand by for sulking when you get home.

Ali71 and claire8234 like this.
  9. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

I would have to do without a holiday or take brambles with me .i just couldnt leave her in a cattery. Not to have ago at people who do. but if i did keep her in one i would be to upset to enjoy my holiday so fluffy pants has me 24.7 .the joys of owning a cat .ps BRAMBLES STOP WAKING ME WHEN YOU COME TO BED NO NEED TO SCRATCH THE BED AND WAKE ME AND THEN DEMAND TREATS AT 3 IN THE MORNING .plus cleaning yourself for an hour isnt helping me either and the grunting and snoring in bed doesn't help either. i mean the cat not me ! .

Attached Files:

10. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

I have to say that our trips and holidays have reduced significantly since we got the cats. I usually cry everytime we leave them, even though they are home with the cat sitter.

11. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Our holidays are important - to spend time together and to give our children different experiences and memories.

As much as I love our pets I would never give up going away because of them and generally dont worry about leaving tuem, although I understand why people do.

12. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Sarcastic or just oddly worded?!

13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I agree that family holidays are important and hope you can enjoy this one without worrying too much.
    Maybe when you get back you can start to research and find a pet sitter who you would feel comfortable with for future family trips.

14. Fred&KiKi

Fred&KiKi PetForums Member

i feel i am be the exact same blubbering mess in september, my two babies are going into a cattery for the first time ever and its for 15days! i already feel like a terrible mummy! stay strong just remember its a holiday for them too! :D

moggie14, Smuge and claire8234 like this.
  15. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone. I will definitely be looking for a different cattery!

I'm still unsure about a petsitter - having a stranger in our house (we havent got any valuables but still unsettling). Although maybe as stitch gets older it would be better for him to stay at home

16. Chellacat

Chellacat PetForums Senior

In all the time I had Spike I never had to leave him in a cattery. I was lucky enough to have great neighbours and a fantastic friend who would nip in 5 times a day to play with him, feed him and give lots of cuddles and he still had access to the garden and the friendly old lady over the fence who he charmed into buying salmon for him. When we moved I didn't ned to be away for the two years before Spike died. Last year when we got Sasha I had to go away in the October to visit my sister, it was the worst ten days of my life, too far to take Sasha with me and all her children and her husband are allergic. New neighbours hate cats and my friend was also away that week so I had to book him into a cattery. Never again, he was misreble, I was misreble and though I'm sure he was safe and played with the whole time he hated it, anytime he saw the cat carrier after that he freaked out as he thought I was going to abandon him again! So no holidays in the near future unless I can take him with me. Day trips only. I totally understand how you feel leaving him behind, I didn't get a break at all and phoned the cattery every day to check on him. I'm sure the lady that ran the place must have thought I was crazy. I'm sure your boy will be fine and taken care of well while you are away, just be prepared for a telling off when you get back, I secretly love that telling off when you have been away and come back, it reminds me that they really do love and miss us when we are not there. Hope your holiday isn't too stressfull, try not to worry too much!

17. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

We are going away for 10 days in September. Tali is going to a cattery for 12 days (tho she will be picked up the second they open on the 12 day -literally) and i already feel bloody terrible about it. She will probably hate it :( tho its quite a nice cattery and the lady running it seems lovely.

We are all going to have to get used to it tho, we live quite a long way away from both our families and we aren't going to stop having an annual holiday

claire8234 likes this.
  18. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Its a shame the cattery isn't better as that just adds to your worries. As long as they look after him well, that's the main thing. You could have asked them if they could text you photos of how he is, otherwise ring over the weekend.

19. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I must be really blessed where I live as I have a really lovely cattery nearby, run by an amazing lady :) Old Harrycat adored going there if I went away - in fact there were times when I collected him that the I got a look that clearly said "I'm quite happy to stay here for ever !!". I've recommended it to many of my friends and they have all reported the same reaction from their cats ! So I'll have absolutely no qualms about booking Missy in should it ever be necessary.

moggie14 likes this.
  20. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

A professional cat sitter will be far too busy to spend time Looking round your house. They will have insurance and also a reputation to protect. Ask on local Facebook or in your vet office for personal recommendations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice