Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beautiful day turned....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JJAK, Apr 24, 2011.

1. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Into my worst nightmare.

Today we were invited to the inlaws for sunday dinner.
    We decided that wed take a gentle stroll up there and take the dogs with us (its about...35 minutes walk away and with jess' HD, we decided to take it slowly...even though its a walk shes done lots of times!)

got there, jess was fine, showed no signs of pain, the kids were fussing her, shed done her 'rounds' as usual. after about...35 mins we asked if MIL would watch the dogs whilst we nipped to sainsburys to get the dogs some dinner (as wed stupidly forgotten theirs and we normally stay quite late!)

went shop, came back...MIL had taken some pics of kai so we were looking through them in the garden...and then all of a sudden jess collapsed, she was laid flat out, with her back legs both straight out and panting like no bodys business. reassured her and she calmed down, slowed her breathing but her back legs were STILL straight out. we decided to get her up but support her back end. it was like she was paralised. she couldnt bend her 'worse' back leg, all the muscles had tensed and it was locked in place, the other one had movement but wasnt right, she tried to take a step but fell over, her foot wasnt working and had bent back on its self.

It went on for around 25 minutes. we were massaging her hip, and knee joints but it wasnt working, MIL got a hot water bottle wrapped in a tea towel which seemed to help. slowly (and i mean majorly slowly) she could support her own weight, but her leg was still locked in position. we took her inside and laid her down in the living room. then all of a sudden she jumped up....and started walking round as normal (if very stiff/lame and sore!) Iv tried to ring the vets but so far had no luck in getting through...it was almost as though shed trapped a nerve, it stopped as quickly as it had come on....and now 45 mins later shes back to her old self...MIL gave us a lift home and shes had some metacam and is now fast asleep.

Poor girly didnt half give me a fright today, trip to the vets ASAP (once i get hold of them!) me thinks, for some more metacam and to discuss what they think it could of been!

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh poor Jess! I bet you were frightened out of your wits! Fingers crossed it was just something minor and she was being a drama queen :)

3. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

It was one of those moments where i thought she was "giving up" she really wasnt herself, her gums went white and she was absolutely roasting....OH was crying his eyes out in the garden whilst i got her inside (shes his world)

Him and her and currently snuggled up on the sofa...i dont think hell be leaving her alone any time soon!

4. rona

rona Guest

How frightening. Ruddy typical, not being able to get hold of a vet when you really need them :rolleyes:

5. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Iv tried a fair few times and left numerous messages. I *think* their open tomorrow so if i can get in touch tonight then ill be nipping in first thing tomorrow morning. It was bizzare how it just came, then went.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Things like this just love happening on holidays etc. must have been so frightening!

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Glad she is OK now, good luck at the vet's.x.

8. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

thanks everyone

Still no luck on the phone :(
    Shes still fast asleep, keeps waking up and going from sofa to sofa and has come for cuddles

Ill keep you all updated as soon as i know what it was x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice