Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beautiful boxer girl died suddenly in her sleep

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Tracylou, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Tracylou

Tracylou PetForums Newbie

Our beautiful boxer girl had just turned 5 and died suddenly in her sleep days later. No explication whatsoever even the vet that examined her said he could see how healthy she was and well looked after. I have heard of sudden death in dogs but never thought it would happen to my girl. We have since learned about heart screening for boxers but we never had any cause for concern.
    Has anyone experienced sudden death in a dog?
    It’s been 4 weeks and we still can’t come to terms with what’s happened. We were so shocked and no postmortem was offered we just wanted her back home.
    The only comfort we take from her death is that she was on the bed with us and appeared to have gone in her sleep

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

No experience of this condition, but so sorry for your loss :(

Tracylou likes this.
  3. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Oh good lord how awful for you. I'm afraid I have no idea what could have caused this. I did very suddenly lose my border collie some years ago. She seemed fine but suddenly one night woke up making a noise like she was about to be sick, I got her from my bedroom to the bathroom, thinking it would be easier to clear up sick from the tiled floor, she collapsed and seconds later died in my arms. It is thought she had a massive heart attack.

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Like you say though you can take great comfort that she died peacefully in her sleep laying next to those she loved and trusted.

margy and Tracylou like this.
  4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss

5. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Dreadful: I’m so sorry.

Tracylou likes this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

What an awful shock; sorry for your loss. My neighbours had a Briard and the same happened there. They heard him give a tiny bark in the middle of the night, thought he'd heard a fox outside, and found him in the morning. You must feel awful.

Tracylou likes this.
  7. pooch495

pooch495 PetForums Junior

While there is no replacement for a loss of a pet, remembering she passed while at home, somewhere she loved and was loved, and without any prolonged pain or suffering is something that can help a bit. So sorry for your loss.

Tracylou likes this.
  8. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I am so sorry about your girl what an awful shock for you, I lost both my toy poodles last year due to illness which was bad enough and I am still trying to get over their loss so I can only imagine how you feel when your dog seemed healthy.

#8 ttaylor45, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Tracylou likes this.
  9. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I've never experienced this but sudden unexplained death does happen to animals and humans from time to time.
    Your dog's life was short but happy and she knew she was well loved. X

Tracylou likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice