Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beardies and meal worms

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Smilerincov, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Smilerincov

Smilerincov PetForums Newbie

I have read a lot of contradictory advise about bearded dragons and mealworms so really don't know want to do

I have a 3 - 4 year old 16 inch bearded dragon that I rescued recently. He eats a lot of greens daily and 2 or 3 hoppers which he loves but I wanted to add some variety to his diet. I see lots of items in pets shops with mean worm feeders and bearded dragons on them but wondered just if I should add them to her diet and if so how many a day

Would love some help on this please

2. ionaarcher

ionaarcher PetForums Newbie

I have had this problem before as well.

I went and spoke to a professional and they told me to try and blend them in with his eating. I put a couple in a day and he just seemed to like it. I didn't really see the point of buying a bowl especially for the meal worms so they told me just to put them in with the salads, they will eat the greens and so they will be healthier for the beardie.

I hope this helped with your problem. :)

3. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

The skin of meal worms is made of chitin, which beardies cannot digest. Meal worms are normally loved by beardies, but too many aren't good for them. Think of it like a child with chocolate - they'd eat it until the cows come home, but wouldn't do them any good!

As mealworms have little/no nutritious value for a bearded dragon they should not form part of their daily diet, but a few can be given weekly as a treat. Same with wax worms which are very fatty, and harmful if given in lahre amounts.

Silk worms, morio worms or roaches are a great alternative food source for bearded dragons.

Hope this helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice