Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Beardie loves her new fountain- too much!

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Mammytriesherbest, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Mammytriesherbest

Mammytriesherbest PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    Can anyone offer some advice? My son has used his Christmas money and bought his bearded dragon a larger vivarium and some exciting enrichment 'decor'.
    One of the items he got was an exo terra lizard drinking fountain.
    Turns out Flash (beardie) LOVES running water. She runs to it and rests her face on the fountain allowing the water to run into her mouth. She then climbs up and 'hugs' it. Very cute! Except when she does this the water runs down her belly and tail onto the vivarium floor, flooding it. Not ideal. We tried putting it right in the corner under a hammock to try and stop her hugging but she just squeezed herself between and climbed right over the fountain making another big puddle. She floods her viv every time.
    My son is delighted to find something his usually lazy lizard is excited about and wants to keep the running water, but for now we've had to turn it off.
    He is willing to invest in another item, any hopefully he can sell on the fountain he has just bought. Any suggestions as to either stopping her from climbing or a different product to try?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Keybird55

Keybird55 PetForums Newbie

Maybesome lizards just love water like some dogs do?

3. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Put it inside a tray? That way water can be collected rather than flooding the viv floor

Ours like water too, although most books/google, say they get all the moisture they need from their diet and waterbowls/ fountains make humidity too high. Ours loves to lie in his bowl, with his head under the water, he also loves time in the bath under a running tap

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I find the water falls to be nothing but bacteria storing pains tbh that and as stated above they tend to create too much humidity (which should only be around 35-40%)

You would be better off getting rid of the water fall and just sticking to plants and spraying the viv a few times a day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice