Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beardie Help Please

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by cherrie_b, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

My housemate is looking to get a beardie sometime in the near future but has some questions.

He has his vivarium on order and it will be arriving in the next few days. The guy he ordered it from and the guy in the local pet shop said that as long as he had a 100w bulb in the viv, he would not need a heat mat...is this true?

My housemate wants to ensure that the beardie has everything he/she needs. What would you recommend for food?

Also, we have 2 cats...will the beardie feel awfully threatened by them?

Thanks
    Cheryl

2. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Well, you would also need an AV light in there, and yes a heat matt would be good, so at night he doesnt freeze, also you would need a thermostat conncted up to the light to make sure the beardie doesnt get to hot! For food, you would need crickets, veggies and calcium... the calcium would go on the cricket 1 every 2 days! I hope this helps.... :D

3. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

As Sahunk has said you will most certainly need a UV bulb, I use an Exo terra repti glo 10.0 on my Blue tongued skink. A heat mat is highly recommend as this will help to provide a suitable temperature gradient, remember that all heating devices should ideally be connected to a thermostat.

4. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

have to be careful with heat mats as beardies search for heat using sensors on their heads and so can burn their feet. neither of mine or others i have had to care for have ever had them. mine just have the heat lamp for heat attatched to the thermostat. the UV bulbs need replacing every 6 months ish because they loose their effectiveness and you may well notice a change in the beardies behaviour. mine start to loose energy.

young beardies need to eat more crickets/live food then veg but as adults dont need as much live food but should always have fresh vegies and leaves. sometimes you will need to use a syringe to give water as not all beardies like drinking from a bowl, also baths or water sprays help them soak in water. veggies they can eat are kale, parsly, spinach, rocket, corriander, carrot tops, other herbs, dandilion leaves, even grass they also like fruit such as grapes, mango, papaya and apple. meal worms crickets and locusts can be given regually and wax worms can be brought on occasion as a treat.

you need to make sure they go toilet regually, mine at the moment are not. (babies should go daily whereas adults can go a couple of days) mine are now having a warm bath (i use a large storage crate) every three to four days to help them pass their poops. think it might be the heat.

beardies can be upset by other animals, having said this both of mine get on with my rabbits and dogs. one of them is ok with my hamsters in the ball the other is not. you can slowly get them used to pretty much anything as they are quite hardy pets.

anything else you need to know just ask.

5. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Unless your house gets really cold at night, heat mat's are unnecessary. Depending on the size of the viv a 100w bulb will be sufficient at keeping up the temps. This needs to be on a dimming thermostat.

I personally don't like crickets. I always feed locusts - mainly because they have a higher gut loading content than crickets, but crickets are nasty little things, they can nibble on beardies tails and toes should you happen to leave any in the viv and they escape from just about anything.

My Ozzy is not phazed by anything. He used to walk around with my dog. He watches my rats and Guinea Pigs a lot, just out of curiosity more than anything.
    My viv has always been on the floor, so he soon got used to animals running by. Maybe if you do this too, he can see the cats walking around but still feel safe in his viv. Of course, don't leave them unsupervised together, but I think they will be fine.

6. xfiles_stu

xfiles_stu PetForums Newbie

You mean a uvb light? I read AV light somewhere around here. Heat mats aren't necessary if you have proper basking lights.

7. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

So...we went shopping today and my housemate purchased the following:

30W 10.0 UVB strip light & fitting
    100W Heat Bulb & fitting
    Water dish
    Food dish
    Basking stone
    Thermometer
    Calcium Powder

Is there anything else he needs? The pet shop man said that putting newspaper or kitchen roll down whilst the beardie is a baby will be ok...is this true?

Also, how does he introduce crickets to the viv? In terms of preparation? How many crickets should the beardie be fed? When and how often?

Thanks guys!

8. jordan_hudson_98

jordan_hudson_98 PetForums Newbie

for a baby yes newspaper is good

jordan hudson 98:)

9. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

The basking stone is just an ordinary stone yes, not a hot rock?

You will also need some nutrobal, which is a vitamin/mineral supplement to dust on food.

I personally don't use fancy bowls, feeding my hand builds up more of a bond between you and I only offer water occasionally out of a small plant pot drip tray.

Yes, it's very important that you don't use a particle substrate - most say until they around 12 months, but I say not at all.
    When a beardie goes to eat, he can take in a mouthful of substrate too, which will clog up his insides and can be fatal.

I use floor tiles which are grouted in between at the bottom of my viv, it looks great and is really easy to clean.

Bearded Dragons don't actually live on sand anyway, so putting them on it is not only risky but unnatural.

10. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Yes it is just a big rock. Sorry for the confusion.

I think newspaper sounds like a good idea then. The tile idea sounds good too! :D

Is the calcium powder not to put on the food?

Thanks MissG

11. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Thats OK, I just wanted to check. You see Beardies like their heat from above in the form of light, rather than below from heat mats and rocks.

Newspaper is a great substrate, it's cheap (usually free), no risk of impaction and it's really easy to clean - just screw it up and in the bin it goes. Only down side is it is that pleasing to the eye, but the health of your lizard is more important that how his viv looks.

Here's a pic of my viv from a while back, so you can see how it looks:

[​IMG][/IMG]

The calcium powder you can dust on vegetables too, but mainy use it on his livefood. Simply put some in a sandwich bag along with your crickets or locusts and give it a good shake. They will get covered in it and then you can feed them to him.
    The nutrobal however you can overdose on, so be very careful, I think it's a pinch per 100g of lizard. I use calcium on every feed, but nutrobal only twice a week.

12. sadiajahan

sadiajahan PetForums Junior

You can experiment with the wattage of the basking light till you find one that produces the correct temp gradient. Or you can get a dimmer so that you can use one wattage and adjust with the dimmer rather than switching the bulb out for a lower wattage one all the time. You can also adjust the height of the basking area to get the right temperature.

13. myhunnybunny

myhunnybunny PetForums Newbie

Hi i have had bearded dragons for seven years and also breed them, i have care sheets which i give to people that purchase dragons from me if you would like me to forward you one i can do just send me your email address.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice