Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bearded dragon eating no veg

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by fieldy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. fieldy

fieldy PetForums Newbie

Hi we have just got a male bearded dragon who is 5 years old and was unwanted by current owner. He seems large and healthy, poos regularly, enjoys his locusts. However, I can't get him to eat any fruit or veg at all. His previous owner fed him almost completely on mealworms which she hid in his salad so he would eat a bit of that too.

My question is, how do I get him to eat veg? And if he isnt, how often should I feed him live food (and how many?). Im worried hes not eating enough (I dust the locusts alternately with a multivitamin powder and a calci dust). Im tempted to get some mori worms and stick them in the salad but I would rather try and get him eating it without. Any advice welcome please.
    He's also not that active- just moves from the back to the front of the viv and doesnt often go on the basking shelf

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Any pictures of the setup?
    What are the temperatures in his enclosure, basking temp? cool end temp? How are you measuring those temperatures?
    What brand and percentage UV tube are you using? How old is it?

3. fieldy

fieldy PetForums Newbie

His viv is 33-35 at the warm end and about 26 usually at the cool end. I have digital thermometers in both ends. Not sure how old the UV tubes are- she told me they were recent. Basking light was changed about 2 weeks ago. Can't post a pic at the moment but will try to this evening

4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

You need a basking spot around 38-40C
    How large is the enclosure? 4x2x2ft is recommended as minimum - bigger is always better.
    You might want to replace the UV tube if you aren't sure how old it is - over time the tubes degrade and stop outputting so much UV-B
    What veggies have you offered?

5. fieldy

fieldy PetForums Newbie

Sorry was looking at temp now but it increases during the day. Usually by 11 it is 36-38. The enclosure is 4x2x2. I will look to replace the tubes.

I've offered all of the following at different times:
    dandelions, sugar snaps, spring greens, carrot, romaine lettuce, rocket, blueberries, red pepper, strawberries, mango. He has not touched anything in the 3 weeks I've had him!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice