Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beaphar fiprotec flea spot on?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sнarкy, May 1, 2019.

1. Sнarкy

Sнarкy PetForums Junior

Anyone know if this is any good/reliable and if not anything that can be safely combined with it?

My two boys went to the vet Tuesday and the vet noticed a little (possibly) flea dirt on one of them, I've since noticed a live flea and a bit more dirt across the two the following day.

I know some people say you can tell when the treatment is working but I had a squiggly purring kitten so I lost the flea quite quickly.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow and probably going in to collect flea treatment if possible but I thought I'd ask here as well.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@SHarky -

That make of flea treatment contains the insecticide fipronil which in some parts of the UK seems to have become less effective at killing fleas.

If the kittens are older than 8 weeks I recommend using Advantage spot on which you can buy without a prescription at various online pet pharmacies, or on line from Pets at Home.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-treatments-advantage-for-cats-c-3_660_873

You should also treat your home with a household insecticide because that is where most of the fleas will now be. Indorex or RIP Fleas are reliable brands to use. Note, that household insecticides contain permethrin which is very toxic to cats so you will need to follow the instructions on usage very carefully and air all rooms fully before allowing the kittens back in.

Also, worth noting the Pupal Window :

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

You are best to treat your kittens for worms too, tapeworm included. One type of tapeworm uses flea larvae as an intermediate host, and your kittens while grooming themselves may have accidentally swallowed a flea that contained tapeworm eggs.

sandy-cat and BarneyBobCat like this.
  3. Sнarкy

Sнarкy PetForums Junior

@chillminx

Thank you, that's really helpful! I'm hoping I can get ahead of it before it becomes a full infestation so I'll see about getting those ASAP.

The kittens were wormed just yesterday though I should probably check it's effectiveness too in case I need to buy a new wormer.

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@SHarky - yes, I'd check that the wormer you gave them covered tapeworm, as some don't. :)

#4 chillminx, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. Sнarкy

Sнarкy PetForums Junior

It's for roundworms so looks like I'll need to get a new wormer as well, I was going to get everything from the vet in their appointment before their neutering but that seems like a long wait now.

Thank you for the heads up! I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise, though I was so happy they took the syrup so well..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice