Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beagle recall - secure walking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jobate, May 16, 2010.

1. jobate

jobate PetForums Junior

Hi, I have a 9 month old Beagle that I am training for recall. I use the whistle and he is really good with coming back when in the house or in the garden. I now want to try in a more open space with or without other dogs and am trying to find a fenced in dog walking area. I live in Kent near Ashford and Maidstone does anyone know of anywhere. Thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If you cant find a fenced in area, have you thought about using a long line?

You can get 100ft ones.

3. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

We use football courts and tennis courts for our beagle,check first with wardens etc before using,

we also use a long line when out and about and use the stop command and here command.Don't forget your treats,we use garlic sausage and drop it at bases of trees etc in the woods to keep our beagle near and if he goes off on a scent our special command to get him back is "whats this,come see" he always comes back as he knows he will always get a treat when this is said,we have been saying it since he was tiny and always responds to it.Good luck and I know everybody says negative things about Beagles recall but I see it as a challenge and the gorgeous points about them temperament etc far outweigh this one no so great point.
    We also have a cousin who has 3 dogs and a neighbours dog,and we take Alfie for a play in her garden and recall him midplay,this is a great test in a secure environment,maybe if you could find someone to team up with and take it in turns etc.

4. billthebeagle

billthebeagle PetForums Newbie

i have done advanced obedience and agility with my beagle and he was very good at both - with the aid of sausage treats. He would recall to a whistle fairly reliably BUT on the couple of occasions he got on the scent of a fox he would not have obeyed a recall for anything. This is what beagles were bred to do and I do not believe you can train it out of them if your dog is a purebred.

Keep him on a lead as the dog breed info sites recommend or you risk ruining other people's picnics or your beagle getting run over.

#4 billthebeagle, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Personally I think a long line is much more humane, than awful shock collars :frown:

If not the dog could end up associating the recall command with a shock, or even just a beep. Bad associations with recall is not a good thing.

Jobate Sounds like you have made great progress so far :) Harvey uses a long line ( with me on the other end) but you could always have it dragging, so you can stop him if he does take off. (Attached to a harness only )

Hope you manage to find somewhere to practice :)

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Shock collars when used correctly are great for frightening dogs into doing what ever you want :mad:. Used incorrectly they can also make them dog and people agressive as well as a whole list of other problems. Use a long line and high value rewards starting with small distractions and building distactions up slowly

sue&harvey likes this.
  7. houndies

houndies PetForums Member

Completely agree. Our lovely willful scent hounds really do not cope with negatives. Shock collars can really do a lot of harm. Always have smelly treats and give them every other or few times he listens. We used a long lead and taught the emergency stop from a young age. To be honest I don't think you can ever have a 100% recall and you'll soon realise the danger moments like now with picnic season :eek: I also found it helped doing some training with friends and their well behaved dogs. As others have said always work on recall and getting his attention - while he's playing, sniffing etc... and lots of reward. You'll get there and it's that much more rewarding for all the work you have to put into it :thumbup:

8. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Folks make me laugh sometimes with their misguided assumptions of what dogs like. How can any animal 'like' being given an electric shock? As far as I am aware, dogs don't 'do' masochism!!!:cool: More like the dog in question associated the shock collar with walkies same as he would have associated a spiked collar with walkies had it been put on him every time he went for one!:rolleyes:

The long line and enclosed area ideas are the best and most humane. Accept that your dog is a beagle and that he cannot help his instincts and just exercise care and control when exercising him and you won't go far wrong. ;)

lemmsy likes this.
  9. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

Hallelujah!

Good post :D

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not follow the advice of using a shock collar. You will only condition (in your dog) a negative association with his humans! :eek:

Teach your dog that it is rewarding to stay with you. Use a variety of super high value rewards to positively reinforce a good recall. Do use a long line if you don't feel confident that he will recall when you first start taking him out; by doing so you are setting him up to succeed! :thumbup:
    Teach your dog to keep an eye on you= hide and seek games (big reward when he finds you).

The following article goes into more detail and has plenty of ideas to make recalling to you the most rewarding thing ever:
    Why won’t my dog come back? – David Ryan CCAB

Good luck :)

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Ive only ever had bella leave my side on a walk 2 days before she came into season and that was to get to another dog the other side of the field! floosie!

I used a long line (and still do now after not having off lead for weeks with season) and taught recall with sausages, cheese, chicken and my son! lol!! You only have to say find jordy and she is tearing round to get back to him, roll over and get a piece of chicken <3 :lol:

The key is to make coming back to you worthwhile and rewarding for the dog. I really wanted to find a secure place to do training but there just isnt the area so we got a 40 ft long line and stood 40 ft apart and literally called her between us and then dropped the line (so we could grab her if she shot past) and moved further away and we can now recall from quite a distance.

For the record my beagle isnt bothered by fox scent-we walk every night 10 ft from 3 foxes and she doesnt bat an eye lid deer scent however is her fave!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice