Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beagle puppy help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Eeja1305, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Eeja1305

Eeja1305 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I’m having some trouble with my 15 week old beagle. he generally hasn’t adapted to going out for a walk, he tends to wanna sit the min we get out the gate, it’s been 3 weeks, his better at the park or when he sees other dogs. We took him to park yesterday which was quite busy and he got hold of my sons glove, he wouldn’t drop it and he was chewing away so my husband took it out of his mouth and he turned around and bite him on the hand. It broke skin abs bleed, our fear is this could of been my son. I know all dogs are capable of biting however when we did our research with beagles we didn’t come across them as being aggressive or biters etc I know they are challenging to train abs stubborn. Has anyone come across their beagle having this sort of biting behaviour?

2. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Don’t physically remove stuff from your pups mouth, trade either a toy or high value treat. If you continue to do this you are asking for trouble, it could lead to resource guarding and this is something that can be really hard to overcome.

The sitting thing passes, mine used to do but as they get older they get more confident and don’t want to sit and watch everything go by, if that makes sense lol.

I wouldn’t worry about it personally, but try to be more prepared. Mines an adult now and I still carry high value treats in case I need them.

Lurcherlad and LittleMow like this.
  3. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Are you sure he was biting out of ‘aggression’? Could he have been trying to play and grab the glove again? Puppy teeth are needle sharp and can hurt!
    It could also be a sign of resource guarding. As above, don’t forcefully take things from your pup, try and trade/swap with something high value, another toy or a treat.

the not walking could be due to confident as has been said! I would work on your relationship and lead walking in the garden so your pup easily follows you. Or you could try and motivate them to move with a treat or pick him up and carry him for a bit. Or try driving somewhere quiet for walks. I’m sure he’ll get over it once he’s older

Lurcherlad and LittleMow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice