UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jimmie O'Chutt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I have a 18 month old Beagle called buddy

about 2 months ago i woke up one morning and noticed buddy had one eye completely shut and would only open it a little bit. when he did open it slightly i noticed it was a little red and his third eyelid was covering it a bit.

we phoned the Vets and had an appointment immediately and when we arrived buddy was taken in and had both his eyes examined. the vet checked his eye pressures, the open eye was 37 and the closed eye was 27. the normal range for eye pressure in dogs is between 12-22 so this suggested buddy has Glaucoma.

The vet explained there are 2 different types of Glaucoma - Secondary and Primary.

Secondary glaucoma - is self inflicted so a truma has happend causing the angles behind the eye that control pressure are blocked down to buddy possibly getting dust in them a causing a blockage ect.

Primary Glaucoma - is genetic, in the dogs DNA.

the Vet checked the angles to see if they were working and looked normal in order to rule out Secondary Glaucoma and they looked fine. no sign of Secondary glaucoma being the cause. He prescribed eye drops to reduce the pressure as soon as possible as high eye pressure can damage his eyes.

this then determined that it must be Primary Glaucoma, to make sure Buddy then had a DNA test.

The DNA test then came back as CLEAR. so Primary Glaucoma musnt be the cause.

This then left me puzzled.

The vet said it is still glaucoma due to his eye pressures being High at the time he was tested but i dont see how this is the case when all other tests have been done and have came back negative. the only thing suggesting buddy has glaucoma was his eye pressures being higher than normal on that morning we took him to the vets.

since then buddy has had a check up on his eyes and his eye pressures are back in the normal range of 12-22.

since the initial incident of us waking up and buddy having his eyes closed 2 months ago... yesterday i was sat down on the sofa watching telly and the same thing happens to him. he slowly starts to close the same eye he had closed that morning. he wont open it.

i called the vets and we had an appointment again straight away, this time it was a different vet that looked at his eyes and he found a cornea scratch.

we have been prescribed more eye drops to help heal the scratch.

im now wondering if it was the cornea scratch all along and the elevated eye pressures was just a result of this or maybe stress as buddy hates going to the vets because when he was only 6 months old he had steroid responsive Myositis.

it would be great if someone could shine some light on the situation for us as at the moment we dont know what to think.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you googled ‘Glaucoma in dogs’?
I just did and it almost reads as if secondary Glaucoma is a ‘symptom’ brought about by something else, eg an injury which alters the drainage angle in the eye. I don’t know if that makes it a permanent condition or not.

Beagles are on the list of breeds more at risk.

#6 ·
thats really sad im sorry to hear about pepe :(

i just thaught i would post this to see if anyone had an opinion on what it could be or what we could do or try in order to find out if it is glaucoma or not....

i think it could of been a corneal scratch all along baised on the fact that hes had all the tests and they have came back negative for glaucoma

#7 ·
Pepe was referred to Optivet originally with cataracts where we were told he couldn't see out of his left eye at all so we took him back the following week to have the cataract removed unfortunately as we were driving home having left him for an over night stay after the operation we got a phone call from the vet asking us to go straight back. She called us to go back as it was an 85 mile round trip for us and she didn't want us getting home only to have to go back. When we got there we were told they could not operate as he had developed glaucoma in both eyes. This was managed with two different types of eye drops and regular visits to Optivet to check on the pressure. We didn't mind the long trips as we would have done anything to keep Pepe comfortable and happy he was such a lovely little dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.