Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beagle driving me mad

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by First puppy is a beagle, Jul 13, 2009.

1. First puppy is a beagle

First puppy is a beagle PetForums Newbie

Hi all im new here and am hoping for some help dexter is my new puppy his 5 months old and as all puppys is sometimes good sometimes bad , but the one thing I cant seem to marster is letting him off the lead . Last week he was fine and this week his a nightmare , Today he ran miles from me and didnt look for me once luckly a kind dog owner grab him for me . He seems to have no fears. We walk on the beach every day for at lest a hour if not more . His very good when im at work and dosent chew stuff up only his toys and his getting used to going potty outside but its the lead thing its driving me mad . Im trying to be a good pack leader but as this is my first puppy i get the feeling im doing lots wrong . I no these puppys can be hard work and im trying my best I love Dex very much but it feels like he just dosent want to be with me when we are out of the house . In the house his so loving.

All help and advice is much needed.

:confused:

2. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum

4. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi and welcome to the forum, sorry you have problems with the recall on your beagle, but unfortunately this is how beagles can be it is the hound in them, lots of practice on a long line, with some really tasty treats so that he wants to come back for something worth his while. Have you also practiced in the your garden.

5. First puppy is a beagle

First puppy is a beagle PetForums Newbie

His really good in the garden its just when we are out as soon as his nose is down his off im thinking its back on the extendy lead for a few days now , my his hard work :rolleyes: funny thow he dose no when his done wrong his in his crate now and theres not a peep out of him . Im giving him time out normanly he gets traets for a good walk but not today its strate to bed . I hate doing it but id hate to lose him so he needs to learn.

Ow to be a good pack leader :confused:

Thankyou all for saying hello its grate to be here im sure I will get some help

x

6. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to PF..:D

7. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

yes best to keep him on extending lead while walking, as he is a beagle, it might be that his recall will never be great, just keep persevring, and when on extending lead let him go soo far, call him back make big fuss and treat him. Hope you can sort him soon.:)

8. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yeap agree with others his being a typical beagle, a long line and lots of treats very testy ones and lots of time and hard work,
    hope you get there in the end. :)

9. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

welcome to the fun house.

10. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

hello :D we have two beagles who are 15 weeks old and i understand where you are coming from lol! :D i think you need to get a long lead - someone suggested a lunge rope to us and lots of treats!! good luck and let us know how your getting on! x

11. louisehall21

louisehall21 PetForums Junior

hi and welcome to the forum you have had some great advise and like they say it is the breed and if you keep going it will get better but you need to understand that no matter how much training because of there breed if they get a scent they will follow it regardless. so keep going but be ready to follow lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice