UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Beagle digging/washing paws issue

520 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Magyarmum 
#1 ·
My 9 month old beagle digs, which is fine and I have a plan to fence off an area where he can dig to his hearts content.

The main issue is he doesn’t want to come back in as his paws are filthy and hates getting them washed.

Is there anything that can be done about this? It usually ends with me having to offer him a treat to come back (he’s even a bit cautious about this too and sometimes chews a stick instead) or catch him and then wipe paws at door.

#3 ·
A lot of dogs don't like having their feet handled, and although it is quite important to get them used to it for those times when you need to do it, for now would he wash his own feet if you could get a large shallow tray with water for him to paddle through?
No, he avoids water. When it rains you see he's uncomfortable walking on the wet grass to pee. He will go out in the rain but he doesn't like it as much as the dry days. He's fine running at park but won't go in the water (which is good tbh as there is a canal) He hates the bath although will be standing quietly and is good but if I turned back for a minute he's jump out and run away.

#4 ·
Not sure how useful this is, but when I can't be bothered to wash/mess around with F's feet, I'll just put towels on the floor in the kitchen. To be honest, that's more effective for cleaning his paws then trying to keep him still to do it properly.

#5 ·
I've already limited mess he can make by getting dog gate and put between tiled kitchen (kitchen has bifold door to garden) and livingroom. His paws are filthy at times as beagles love to dig.

Sometimes just before I finish work he wants out which is fine (have to let him incase he needs to pee) but then won't come in for ages if he digs as he knows his paws are dirty but I like to feed him before his night-time walk and have routine of doing this in kitchen.

#7 ·
I think giving him a treat to come back in is fine? My dog usually gets a treat when I call him I'm from the garden, and then treats while I wipe his paws. You can train dogs to not mind their paws being handled and wiped. Gave he give paw on command?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.