Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beagle destroying the Destroying

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RobMcG, Jun 12, 2018.

1. RobMcG

RobMcG PetForums Newbie

Hey
    I have an 8 year old beagle, I've had her since a pup and she's always been well behaved in the house. I had 2 older dogs that have recently died, she's now destroying the house when she's left alone. At first I thought it was because I've recently moved back in with my mum and she's restricted to the kitchen when no one's home, before I moved back she was able to roam and spy on the neighbours. I let her roam yesterday and she still destroyed everything she could.
    My mum has 2 dogs but doesn't always stay home. When she does the dogs are all together and my beagle behaves so the issue is only 2 or 3 days a week. I know the obvious answer is to get her some company but that's really not an option.
    Screenshot_2017-12-24-14-49-06.png I have tried everything I can think of and it's not worked, any ideas would be appreciated

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Could you get a puppy pen for the kitchen?

You could put her bed in there and some toys for distraction, but she wouldn't be able to chew and cause destruction.

On a side note, her claws are very long. Are you walking her regularly? How much exercise does she have in a day?

lorilu likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How long is she left? Perhaps you t would help if her day was broken up on the days she’s alone by a visit with a dog walker?

Have you actually worked at training her gradually to be left alone, starting with say, 2 minutes and return etc.?

Leaving the radio/tv on can help and a baby gate rather than shutting behind a solid door, which can cause anxiety in some dogs.

If she’s recently lost her buddies, moved to a new house with other dogs she had had a lot to cope with.

It might be worth a vet check to rule out any underlying health issue.

Magyarmum likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Beagles are very much pack dogs, they often suffer separation anxiety when left alone. Using a crate or pen could stop the destruction, but won't do anything about the underlying cause; she would still be miserable and anxious. Could anyone else take her for the time she'd be alone? Friends? A neighbour? Doggy day care?

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  5. RobMcG

RobMcG PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies guys...

I've tried putting her in a pen but she chewed at it and actually got stuck half in, half out on one occasion so I'm worried to do it again in case she hurts herself.

She has toys and bones but doesn't touch them until one of my mum's dogs shows interest.
    I also leave the radio on, although that has been knocked of the side a few times, maybe she doesn't like the station I put on.

I'm looking into a day care with a walker who has 2 Dalmatians of her own and walks them 3 times a day which would be great for her. I think day care would benefit her more because the dog walkers seem to only take them out for 1 hour and that's not enough for a beagle.

I do live with others who are usually home during the week, it's just the weekend when she can be left for along period, with my job it's unpredictable to when I will get home.

Do you think she could really do with a vet check? I thought it would just be something mental

That's actually an old picture, her claws are nowhere near that long now. She gets walked a lot but mainly on grass so I have to do her claws myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice