Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Be careful folks.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by common sense, Jun 29, 2020.

1. common sense

common sense PetForums Newbie

I know many of you already know this but here's another reminder from experience. When going to see a puppy always ask to see the mother and get pedigree papers if it's claimed to be a pedigree. If you can't see the mother WALK AWAY.

We were naive in 2013 and saw a pocket Beagle advertised on Gumtree for £399. I can't believe the prices now, saw Beagle pups today at 5 grand. Took my daughter, 18, who fell in love with the black, brown and tan one that came to her first. Others were black and white. I thought we were just looking but wife got the cash out and she was ours. Had to call at PAH on the way home for stuff! No papers, he'd post them on LOL but never did, no mother, she was "out a walk with my wife" Alarm bells should have rung but as I say we knew very little about dogs and were naive. We were lucky as Evie's lovely and vet says he's pretty sure she's a full pedigree. She had worms but has otherwise been healthy. Seller had an Irish accent so maybe they were from an Irish puppy farm. My dad was Irish so recognised it and had heard of Irish puppy farms but still didn't put two and 2 together.

Our daughter Rachel, only child, passed away in 2018 aged just 22 from sudden adult death syndrome and it breaks our heart that she had to leave Evie. We find the exercise hard sometimes but have to do it for her sake.

#1 common sense, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    kirstykins, Duggee, Bluemoon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

It sounds as if you have been lucky with your dog

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

How dreadful about your daughter. My best friends daughter died in the same way at 21, my friend and her husband are heavily involved with C.R.Y.
    But lovely that she had Evie's company in life, it was obviously meant to be.

Picklelily likes this.
  4. common sense

Thanks. Yes we know about Cry.

5. common sense

Yes we were but not everyone's as lucky and get sick dogs.

Picklelily likes this.
  6. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

I’m so sorry for the loss of your daughter, how devastating. My friend died aged 21 from sudden adult death syndrome.

I agree with your post re seeing puppies and mums. We bought from a registered breeder and saw mum and siblings, but it still felt strange and a bit shady. The idea of puppy farms is sickening and I really hope that most people research who they’re buying from as much as possible before getting a puppy.

Evie is a lucky dog to have such caring owners.

7. Estell91

Estell91 PetForums Newbie

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose someone you love more than life.

I also had a bitter experience a few years ago. My godfather gave me a kitten for my Bday, and I fell in love with her. She was like a sun, but in a month she died. It turned out, that her mother was sick, but my godfather was unaware of it. So always pay attention to the documents, because it's hard to say goodbye to a pet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice