Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BBC1 Thurs eve - vets exposed on Panoroma

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tje, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Tje

Tje Banned

Thursday July 22nd, 21:00 on BBC1

PANORAMA
    It Shouldn't Happen at a Vets'

Filming undercover in one of Britain's largest veterinary chains, Panorama reveals evidence of questionable bills, animals poorly treated, and an unrepentant vet struck off for dishonesty.

Pet owners who take best practice on trust are in for a shock.

------------

I for one won't be missing this... just set the thingy to tape it, just incase!!

2. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I shall definitely be watching this. As its a BBC program, it will be up on iPlayer for a whole 7 days if anyone misses the broadcast on TV :)

3. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

When are they going to do Pets at Home exposed? :thumbup:

I'll be watching this one too, can't wait.

$hAzZa likes this.
  4. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

I expect this is going to be very highly edited. If you watch the advert they show a cat being scruffed to get it out of the cage in an oh how cruel kind of a way but noone blinks an eye when that bionic vet does exactly the same thing. It's just a normal procedure. I have a feeling I am going to be very very frustrated at it!

5. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I thought that about the scruffing too, still should be interesting

6. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

Sounds interesting! If I make it home by 9pm, I'll definitely watch it :)

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

If scruffing is normal procedure then I for one think it's a procedure that should be reviewed. It's usually unnecessary and most cats hate it.

8. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Yes I believe it is, and it is done because it is the safest way to take the cat from the cage, for both the cat and vet/nurse.

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I'll believe this is what's taught but I don't believe it's true. The very assumption in it is that the cat is going to react badly to being handled and therefore all cats need to be treated as if they will cause trouble. This becomes a self-fulfilling truism if they are treated roughly from the beginning.

10. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Have you tried taking a scared/feral cat out of a cage, I don't think they do it with every cat as they assess the situation and the cat first, but cats react very differently in a vets and they may be a bundle of snuggly love at home and a hissing claw swishing beast at the vets, and it also stops the cat from hurting itself aswell.

11. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Thanks for posting this. I will definately be watching :)

As for the scruffing, like I said before, that's not the way to pick up a cat. They hate it and so do I (doing it that is ;) )
    Working as a vet nurse I didn't do it and working in a shelther, I didn't do it either. And there were lots of ferals I took out of cages and handled ;)

12. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Oooh, don't know if I want to watch it :scared: It's the same with programmes about doctors and hospitals - making me doubt the people I implicitly trust even though it's just one place out of thousands that's doing something wrong.

Probably will watch it though. Will just have to remember that it's just ONE place and not all places are like this.

Thanks for the info :)

13. Phoenix

Phoenix PetForums Newbie

Will definitley be watching this!! already set to record incase i forget!

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

As someone said above...it will be heavily edited. I saw on MSE that they show a dog being left lying on the floor to recover from an op, shock horror.....a vet posted and explained that YES this was common practice firstly to keep the dog in line of site rather than hidden away in it's cage in the first few minutes after anaesthetic and also to stop it falling off a table when it comes to.
    I don't know about scruffing a cat, not something I have ever needed to do...but last time I saw my vet he was nursing a nasty bite on his finger from a 15 year old tabby cat 'ooh, she wouldn't hurt a fly at home' says the owner! I poppd in the surgery today to buy food and he was being mauled by a vicious peke!

15. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Shamelessly stolen this link form the thread in GC thankyou to phoenixandcharlies mum

Medivet

16. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I use Medivet and they have always been fantastic with my cats.

17. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Not sure if I want to watch but will.

I would hope that if all cats are lifted in that manner the heaver ones at least, are supported at the back end to not sure if I could lift a full grown MC with one hand & it cant be good for the cat :(

18. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

Of course not all cats are scruffed, it totally depends on the cat but its better to be safe than sorry. Cats are not easy to hold as I'm sure you know and a cat bite is not very pleasant to get from a stressed out cat. We don't want to stress the animals but neither do we want to get hurt ourselves. In the last 2 weeks I have probably seen two or three cats scruffed out of about 50.

19. groundhogdaze

groundhogdaze PetForums Member

The first time we took our MC to the vets I warned the vet she was fiesty and he said no cat had ever got him in over 20 years. Two minutes later he came out into reception with a freshly bandaged hand:lol:

The next time I took her in he "scruffed" her and gave her jabs very quickly. No injuries to vet and no unnecessary stress for cat.

20. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Medivet is a chain and like any chain there are going to be variations between branches. Of course it will be edited and sensationalised but you can't make up a vet nurse punching a dog. That happened in one branch, probably one time and it doesn't mean they're all bad.

This happens to be of particular interest to me because I have changed my vet quite recently. My old vets was a privately owned practice which has had a good reputation for many years. I changed not because of the vets but because I had increasing concerns over some months about what was going on behind the scenes. I'm not talking about sensational cruelty, more an increasingly sloppy attitude to infection control or animal welfare. Much as it was something of an inconvenience I could not remain a customer when I knew I wouldn't be confident if I had to leave one of my cats as an in-patient.

Because I am a breeder and use the vet quite a lot I noticed a trend, a slipping of standards and attitude over time. The average pet owner who pops in once a year for boosters is probably still a happy customer and for such services they have no reason not to be. I firmly believe the deterioration I have seen is directly linked to the current economic climate. I know staff hours have been cut and it shows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice