Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bats

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Guinevere13, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

We have what I like to call a "wildlife friendly garden" and what my neighbour calls a "mess" :D However, I don't care as we have lots of visitors like hedgehogs and bats. I watch the bats flying over the garden but they are far to quick to photograph and I can't see any details, other than they don't have big ears! Any idea what kind of bats are more likely to visit gardens?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Pipistrelle's are quite a common species. We have a roost of over 200 in our roof.

Guinevere13 likes this.
  3. Guinevere13

Wow! That is a lot! I'll look up the pic and let you know if it is a pipistrelle. Thanks Nonnie.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

They are so cute, i love bats.

Btw, i have a wildlife section in my garden as well. Found a hedgehog in there not long ago, and i cant figure out how he got in, as my fences have been rabbit proofed. Couldnt find a hole anywhere. I released him out the front.

[​IMG]

5. Guinevere13

I watched a wildlife programme a while ago and it showed a hedgehog climbing up a 6 foot fence! I didn't realise they could run so quick either.

Is that a pic of a pipistrelle?

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes.

Maybe thats how he got in then. He was HUGE.

7. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

I have a bat that tries to get into our living room window every night, they are lovely, i also have two hedgehogs that visit us everynight as well.

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I love bats, there are some that visit our garden at night. :)

9. Guinevere13

I think we are special - we are all batty :D:D:D

10. kelseye

kelseye Banned

i like bats i sit in my garden and they fly round us.my boyfriend the numpty thought they eat fruit and he put some on our shead roof lol when they eat small insects ect ......lol :)

11. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I love bats. I really enjoy watching them fly round our garden. I did think one was going to come in the window the other night.

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i loooove bats! they are adorable!

13. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

we have bats out the back they are lovely i was thinkin about a bat box ? xx

14. Guinevere13

#14 Guinevere13, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  15. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

hey sorry for hijacking this thread but didn't see the point in starting a new one.

we had a bat in our living room last night no idea how it got there or how long it had been in. but all of sudden it appeared and started flying about. we got it out by opening the patio door and turned down the lights.

i thought it was really cool but after looking it up on superstition and it seems it is said to be bad luck and has the possibility of an imminent death in the family.

do you think this is a load of rubbish or are you superstitious.

16. Guinevere13

I have walked past people on stairs, under ladders, had a black cat cross in front of me (can't help that one - my cat is black, although he can be dangerous if he crosses you on the stairs!) and I was born on the 13th, so not really. I think it is more unlucky for the bird/bat or whatever that flies into the house as most people would swat them!

Most superstitions were there to explain things that didn't seem to have an explanation, and I would think that the one about the bat may have been because they were thought to be witches familiars, so the witch was blamed if someone died unexpectedly.

Ironically, cats were killed in their thousands during the plague for the same reason. Perhaps if they had not been killed they may have kept the rat population down so there would have been less fleas and the plague may not have been so bad ...

Sorry for the long answer but I find this sort of thing fascinating. :D

Love your dogs by the way :)

17. jenny127

jenny127 PetForums Newbie

Hi Nonnie,
    I think that is awesome. You must know a lot about bats, do you have a email address I can contact you at? I would love to ask you some questions!

Thanks,
    Jen

18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The best way to identify bats is with a bat detector, as it's illegal to handle/interfere with them unless you have a license from Natural England, Scottish Natural Heritage of whatever the Welsh one is called these days. It's tricky to identify them in flight as you can't see all their features. If you contact someone from your local wildlife group, someone may come round with a bat detector and identify it for you,as it would also help their recording schemes.

19. Les E

Les E PetForums Newbie

I live up a farm track with hedges both side and and Pipistrelles often 'road' up and down between the hedgerow in their quest for insects.I managed to image them using a DSLR camera and a flashgun.It takes some time to get a usable image or even get one framed at all being so swift.Unfortunatly the camera used dident have the facility of flash operartion below 1/180th of a second exposure time very slow for such fast moving creatures,so although not perfect I was surprised with the result.I was also concerned at first the flashes would harm them in some way but it appears no, in fact they seemed oblivious to them.
    The camera used was a Pentax K100 6mp 1/180th sec exposure with external flashgun.

Attached Files:

rona likes this.
  20. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Looks pretty good to me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice