Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bathing sand suggestions

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ForestWomble, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Don't get me wrong, some use reptile sand with no issues but it has cropped up so worth knowing. Some also say that the sand is too gritty and coarse so may not clean them like finer sand, but again some have no problems with it.

I'm trying to make a natural environment so he's got nothing in there that's plastic except his wheel. I would like a wooden one in there but how would you clean it?

I've added in some Timothy hay that you'd normally use for rabbits as he does actually eat it and likes nesting in it. It doesn't appear too sharp and mimics his natural environment. Plus gives him something different to walk on :)

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I've been using it mixed with the last of the TFF and there is a big difference between the two. I'm 50/50 about it at the moment, on the plus side my boys seem to like it, the shelves are cleaner and they seem to be using the sand bowl for toileting in more, they aren't kicking so much sand out all over the place too. They don't look or feel any different so I'm guessing it's cleaning them well enough, though I'll only really know that once I'm no longer using a mix.
    However this sand doesn't seem to hold in odour as well, but as I clean the bowl and change the sand on a daily basis it's not a big deal.

#23 ForestWomble, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Engel98 likes this.
  4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Fair enough. Today I've found some bird sand so I'll be trying that when TFF had been used up so I'll add a little review here when it's been tested :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice