Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bathing sand suggestions

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ForestWomble, Nov 3, 2019.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I normally buy Small animal farm bathing sand for my gerbils and it's sold out everywhere!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a different brand? \Thank you

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Oooo am sure the one I used to buy was one with a picture of a chinchilla on the front, and obviously called chinchilla sand. It couldn't have been very expensive but this was a few years ago.. Seem to think it was in a paper type bag, bur maybe that was a more expensive make!

Wish I could help more...

Engel98 and ForestWomble like this.
  3. ForestWomble

If its the one I'm thinking of that's chinchilla dust, not sand, unless I'm not thinking of the same brand.

4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

If it's the one I'm thinking of that's dusting powder. However there is one on zooplus but many reviews say it's very fine so it's more like dust.

May be well off, but what about bird sand? [email protected] have some that's made with oyster shells it's 2kg for £2.25. Also there's 'desert sand' normally sold for reptiles. I've heard people use children's play sand too.

I will just say that I haven't used any of the above, like you I use tiny animal farm (or whatever it's called) for my robo.

ForestWomble likes this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

No it was sand it was what you were looking for.. The chinchilla dust was my recollection from working in a petshop my mistake.

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

There is one in [email protected], big white paper bag with a chin on the front and its called chinchilla bathing dust but it is actually sand. So your memory is perfect! I've been using it for 5 years now for hams with no problems.

It's the exact same texture as the old formula tiny friends sand, though I have heard they have changed that one and it's now too fine? Can't say personally as to that.

lullabydream and ForestWomble like this.
  7. ForestWomble

I'll have a look at pets at home, thank you.

Ah OK, I'll have a look. Thank you.

lullabydream likes this.
  8. ForestWomble

Pets at home have the tiny friends farm sand back in stock, though thinking about it the new formula did seem dusty where it never used to be, so I might try something different anyway.

lullabydream likes this.
  9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

When you find one can you let us know? For future reference. Also I'm nearly out of sand so if there's anything less dusty it's worth knowing :)

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. ForestWomble

Funnily enough I was just coming on to update when your post appeared!

I decided not to risk getting the T.F.F sand as I'm sure the price has increased and the reviews on the new sand are not good, so I'm going to try reptile sand sold at [email protected] It's due to be delivered beginning of the week so I'll let you know what it's like.

Engel98 likes this.
  11. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I went to [email protected] to get more sand as I was cleaning Niko out and ran out. Looked at the reptile desert sand online and many were saying that it clumps and can cause impactions? So just something to keep in mind.

I was going to try bird sand which many have stated is perfectly safe but I couldnt find any, only sand paper. So I got TFF again and the chinchilla bath (metal one) and its like half full :(

I was looking online and many people use repti-sand? So will be trying that next. I'll let you know how I get on

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. Smolmaus

I've never actually tried children's play sand myself but a lot of people seem to and it would certainly be a lot cheaper than reptile sand. And definitely 100% safe!

ForestWomble likes this.
  13. ForestWomble

I saw that but as my gerbils use it as a toilet as well the fact it clumps is good, T.F.F clumps too. I wasn't sure what they meant by impactions but as that was for reptiles I assumed it wouldn't be a problem in little ones, I might be wrong.

It arrived today and looks good, so just need to see what the boys make of it.

I saw bird sand online and it contains shell or something I think so might be too sharp and I'd be worried about them eating the shell or whatever it is.

Sorry, do you mean the tub is half full or the bath?

Haven't heard of repti-sand but hopefully it is good for you.

14. ForestWomble

A youtuber whose hamster videos I used to watch uses childrens sand and she ssays you have to cook it to make it safe.

15. Smolmaus

That's just to dry it out, damp sand isn't what you want and I guess could give them a chill if they're sitting in it. Baking it is just the easiest way to do that.

16. ForestWomble

I'll have to see if I can find the video but I'm sure it had something to do with killing any bugs that might be in the sand.

17. Smolmaus

Oh yikes, well I guess that depends where you get it! I'm talking about children's play sand for like, nurseries and play groups so I'd would have hoped you'd be able to rely on it being relatively hygienic.

18. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Yes I've read that too. Baking it at 350F for 30 mins to 'sanitise' it and kill any bugs that we can't see. :)

Some people don't bother though, and haven't had an issue

ForestWomble likes this.
  19. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Impactions from what I understand is if any is ingested, it will clump causing obstructions. But the likes of snakes can't chew, so they swallow everything whole even if it's covered in sand. So maybe on about if large amounts are ingested?

From what I've read it's oyster shell and it's 100% safe for hammies. Some don't like the bits of shell, so people just sieve it out :)

Oh the bath. I recently bought Niko a large chinchilla bath. I've added in hides, bridge and a cup (,cool surface for him to lie in/on). It takes up about 1/4 of the floor space but he's a robo and I'm trying to replicate their natural environment which is partial desert.

I wanted it to be quite deep so I can submerge the cup slightly and plenty for him to dig and roll around in. The bath is only 1/2 full and I worry that he may struggle to get out. I've added a bridge but it's quite steep

ForestWomble likes this.
  20. ForestWomble

Ah right! I guess like most things it depends on your pet, my gerbils have never tried to eat sand and they don't leave food in their sand bath but I will keep an eye on things.
    It's probably in large amounts like the snake example you gave were it would be a problem.

Oh yes, oyster shell.

I hope you can sort out the bath, sounds like a good idea though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice