Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bathing Persians

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by venusspirit, Jul 5, 2009.

1. venusspirit

venusspirit PetForums Junior

Can anyone give me advice what to bath my persian kittens in - Ive used baby shampoo! What the best way to get them a beautiful coat?

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Try using cat shampoo in the first instance.

For Maine Coons, it is recommended to use Woolite to get the coat soaked to the root a quickly as possible. No idea if Persians would be the same. They have a different texture coat, I believe.

3. Soupie

Soupie PetForums Senior

4. I use baby shampoo for around the eyes

For the main body is use F1R2 Snowburst Cats (for white cats) shampoo!

They do others such as scrubbed and organic too

for the very odd times i condition i use a childrens mild spray (leave in) conditioner which i do rinse out a bit, OR i use the pierre henry volumising conditioner for cats.

For eye stains (the bane of my life with a high white persian) - i'm currently using pet perks tear stain powder (after bathing with baby shampoo and drying). The best thing though i have found is boric acid powder but its hard to get hold of.

5. candyshandy

candyshandy PetForums Junior

For kittens baby shampoo is absolutely fine.

Be very very careful with the purple/blue whitening shampoos - if the coat isn't wet enough it will absorb the colour and you may be left with a blue cat instead of a white one!!

I use the Jerob range for my show boy:wink5:

6. lol i should have said that!

My girl isnt a show girl but she did have a blue patch between her shoulder blades the first time i bathed her because she wasnt fully wet to the skin!

7. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Hi all,

Just out of interest, how often do you find you need to bathe the average Persian? And how often do owners bathe their show Persians? I've seen breeders at shows putting in a very thorough and impressive amount of effort before penning their cats and I was wondering how must effort is needed behind the scenes. Those amazing coats obviously require daily grooming, but how much?! When I took my British shorthair to show, we wiped her face down, gave her a cuddle and popped her in the pen! xx

8. I dont show my cats, so i can only imagine the work put into a show cat is much more than i do. I do like my girl to look nice though.

Ok my girl is a blue and white van (officiallya very very high white, blue & white bicolour).

She is also a muck magnet, and loves to play with my dog and the other cats. On average she is bathed once a fortnight to once a month.

She is groomed every day for a good long while, usually on an evening while i am watching tv, i find it really relaxing! She is given a good comb over and eyes wiped.

Once a week i use a dry shampoo on her.

Every day around 2-3 times i have to do her eyes at the moment, i think the heat has got to her as they are worse than usual for staining (not an infection or anything).

It is alot lol, which is why these cats arent for the "lazy" owner ;).

They do require alot of work. My girls coat has been described by a show breeder as a "cotton wool" coat, which is one of the reasons its hard to maintain and why it matts very easily. Being white she is higher maintenance too lol! But i love her!

9. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Goodness me! How one earth do people have time to look after more than one?!?! I'm very impressed! xx

10. I have heard that the clippers come out for many of the show breeders so that may explain somewhat! I couldnt have more than 2 persians, as it would be just too much work. I couldnt have 2 white or high white persians either lol, white is hard to maintain!

My friend breeds exotics, which are called the lazy mans persians as they are short coated ;) :D :001_tt2:

11. candyshandy

I have a high white and black persian show boy and a red and lilac creampoint pet persians. My pet fluffs don't need bathing and are rescues so wouldn't tolerate it. They get combed every day and eyes wiped when needed.

Grooming for show boy is another matter:

Combed every day
    White hairs removed from black patches - as and when
    Eyes cleaned and powdered 3 times a day
    3 days before bath night face and paws gelled each night
    Claws clipped and ears cleaned
    Bath night shampooed in 3 shampoos and dried straight - takes about 2 hours!
    Talced that evening and next morning to keep the hairs separate
    Night before the show all talc blown out
    Morning of the show any last traces of talc blown out and eyes wiped before we set off.
    At the show hall last minute grooming, eyes wiped etc.

Get home after show and start again!!!:eek::wink5:

It is hard work but soooo worth it and he is a laid back boy and takes it all in his stride!!

This is my boy at a show:

[​IMG]

Dozymoo likes this.
  12. venusspirit

venusspirit PetForums Junior

Hi everyone - I think I started something here, wasnt expecting so many replies! But thank you!

Hes gorgeous Candyshandy! I would like to have a go at showing at somepoint so I guess I need to practice with the grooming else Im going to look a right idiot! What do you mean by powder the eyes? My Bi queen gets eys stains but I do keep her clean, just with warm water. Do you need to remove the white hairs from the coat- with tweezers i guess?

I heard about the talc to bulk the coat out I think? What sort of talc do I use, and what is the gel on the paw for?

Sorry so many questions! My babies are now used to baths and the hairdryer so I guess thats good as there are times when they really do need a bath when there is poo all stuck in the fur. My (new) fella nearly puked when I had a kitten in the sink washing its bum - so funny!

Thanks for everyones advice!

13. pria

pria PetForums Newbie

There used to be a product called Four Paws Magic Coat. It was fantastic for persians. I always used it when my boys got old and didnt groom as much. It made the coat really tangle free. You could do a search for it and see if its still available. :D

14. candyshandy

It's all been a huge learning experience for me, he's my first show boy and I would choose a high white!!:rolleyes:

I clean his eyes with Eye Envy liquid (refrigerated one is the best one I've found)

I then pack under his eyes with powder using a cotton bud with Page One Eye Powder

The white hairs in his black bits I take out with tweezers but only a few at a time. It doesn't seem to bother him but he gets a bit fidgety:rolleyes:

Obviously if you're not showing then you don't need to worry about the stray hairs and the talc.

His breeder has been such a great mentor for not only the showing but also the grooming. I would suggest you have a chat with the breeder (if they show) as they may have found some products which work best with their cats' coats.

Hope this helps!:)

Candice
    x

#14 candyshandy, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  15. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Some good tips there with products I have also used and would recommend.

Every breeder/exhibitor has their own way of doing things and what is right for one cat is probably not for another but 'practise makes perfect'. The more you bath and groom, the more confident you will become.

Ideally you should have a mentor, someone who is willing to show you the ropes - somebody that has lots of experience in preparing show cats themselves - your breeder would really be the best person to approach for advice, and they will also have the added benefit of knowing your cat very well. I didn't have a mentor when I started, it was tough but I learnt very quickly through trial and error, the silver Chinchilla Persian breed is just about the worst type of cat to groom along with the white Persian.

You will also be given an insight into just how competitive the cat showing world is - as mentioned before, every exhibitor has their own method, some will be willing to give you a few tips but many will not.

Good Luck!

16. I dont have a mentor lol... if you feel like sharing some tips feel free :D

17. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

What a beautiful cat!! stunning :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice