Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bathing a kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Aug 25, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I came home today to be met by a very smelly, wet kitten. He seems to have sat/rolled in his pee. Should I bath him? I've never bathed cat before, what would be the best way?

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

To be honest, if he's just rolled in his wee, there's probably no point unless he's sodden.Just brush a bit of baby talc through his furr. That will dry him and will also take away the smell of wee. Silly kitten!

3. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

Kittens do the strangest things don't they?
    If he's very wet/dirty you can get a shampoo at P@H (we used it on our BSH when he had a very dirty bottom). You can dilute it in warm water and put a soft cloth in it and rub him gently then rinse him and then towel dry/blow dry gently on him if you need to. Be careful not to leave any shampoo in his fur as its not ideal for him to lick too much off and you don't want him to get cold when He's damp! :rolleyes:
    Good luck!

4. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I have had to do the same today with my boy .. Although he is a stud cat and rolls in everything

He is very good as I started him when he was young

Old towel in the bath , so they don't hurt themselves .. Dilute the shampoo in a jug of warm water .. Pour head to tail and message in .... My boy loves this bit

Keep away from eyes and ears .... Rinse until no bubbles . Towel dry in a warm place and brush ...

Oh long selves tops help lol

5. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

Or armour! I recall my dad getting shredded to bits many years ago when he tried to wash one of the cats in the kitchen sink after he had been been rolling around in mud. It wasn't a pretty sight and the poor cat was petrified of water and the sink for the rest of his life. :frown2:

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Did Cecily for the first tine today - she was good. Didn't think about an old towel in the bottom of the bath though, tip for next time.

7. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I'll never attempt it, my male came home covered in his poo when he'd done it in the cage, but I just let him out and left him to clean himself.

8. SilverCat285

I didn't have any cat shampoo so I just filled the bath a few inches and rinsed him off. He was very good, didn't get a single scratch. He just sat there crying until I had finished. Then he happily lay on my knee purring while I towel dried and brushed him. He is the most laid back cat I've ever had.

Attached Files:

9. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I learnt the hard way with Rosie ... Towel does the trick lol

10. Azriel391

Azriel391 PetForums VIP

SC285 what a gorgeous pic of you clean sweet smelling ball of fluff

11. SilverCat285

Thanks :) he just passed out on me while I was drying him off

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice