Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bathing a cat...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by fluffosaur, May 8, 2010.

1. fluffosaur

fluffosaur PetForums Senior

My current foster cat (Gorky) spent the first two days with us on top of the kitchen cabinets. These cabinets are COVERED in grease now he is too.

I've managed to remove a lot of it thanks to a very stressful bathtime with him (I have some blood left) and using cornstarch on the rest. I called around some grooming places and they basically want over £50 to bath him. I don't think so. :p

Any other suggestions??

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i cant say id ever try and bathe a cat, i value my life too much :D

What about a dry shampoo, wouldnt that work?

3. fluffosaur

fluffosaur PetForums Senior

I did the dry shampoo and it worked pretty well, it allowed him to get most of the grease out of his fur himself.

Really the problem area is his underside. There is still some matted grease there and he lashes out when we try and do anything !!

4. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i think your 4 options are

1. give him another bath and risk death
    2. get someone to hold him or 2 people with towels and dry foam it out
    3. take him to the vets and have him knocked out to get it sorted
    4. take him to a groomers and run like hell! :lol:

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

there's always the local colleges... I'm doing Animal Management and we do grooming... anyone local to you offer the service? they're normally less than £10 and will clip claws first...

Other option is to buy a 'cat bag' a mesh bag that conains the limbs whilst you wash em

6. Tje

Tje Banned

You mentioned he’s a foster cat, have you asked the shelter or organization you’re fostering for if they have a grooming bag or cat-net you can borrow? I’m sure it’s not the first time they’ve had a skittish cat needing bathing, chances are they’ll have a net or bag you can borrow. These ones are best as they are purpose made.

I made my own “bath bag” from pretty strong mosquito netting… it’s just like a laundry bag but instead of a draw string at the top I thread a cat collar through the tunnel part of the material.

Put this on in the cat’s room, not in the bath room.

Also have your shampoo diluted before you start. It’s much easier that way. (have everything ready before you start, lol). I like to have measuring jugs all lined up with water, even if I am using a shower head. It's handy if you've got someone to help you to refil them. This bit is very important... Get something non-slip for the cat to stand on. I use a cut down human bath-mat, but a thick heavy towel will suffice, as long as the they're not standing with their feet directly on the slippery bath/shower stall surface. This makes a BIG difference.

Some cats react better to showering, some cats react better to getting water poured over them out of jugs and containers. I think the noise of the running water scares a lot of them, so do try with water all lined up in containers. (Big 2 liter coke bottles with the top cut off them come in handy for this). or just fill something like a big bucket and scoop your water up from there with a measuring jug.

And maybe this sounds too obvious… but continually use your voice to calm him. It really does work, the calmer you are, the calmer the cat will be. This sounds dumb, but I swear singing to them helps. Or just tell them one long dumb story as you go along... it does help (last week I was bathing 20 ringowrm cats in the shelter, spilt in to groups of 10, and each group got shampooed on alternate days... many people thought my singing and story telling was a bit "mad cat lady" but I was finished in no time with little fuss and bother, and most importantly, all limbs were intact, lol.)

best of luck!!!!!

hobbs2004 likes this.
  7. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Heres a good note I learned when I bathed Horris the few times he needed it.

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT let the cat face you. I made the mistake of picking up horris and he was facing me. Lets just say he was velco stuck to me like a Kola would NOT LET GO. God that hurt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice