Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Basset hound growling at children and other problems.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sarahf12, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Sarahf12

Sarahf12 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I've just recently been on holiday to visit my Grandma. She's having problems with her dog and I feel like I need to step in and help her. She doesn't know much about dog behaviour, and she certainly isn't one to get help. Could somebody please advise me on how I can approach this? I think she would listen if it came from me. It would be great if someone could explain why they think this all of the below is happening, and explain some management practices/techinques for short and long term that would be great.

#1 Sarahf12, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

The growling could be a simple case of resource guarding. RG is relatively easy to solve, and equally easy to make much worse with the wrong approach.

If your grandmother isn't looking for advice though, I'm not sure what you can do....

3. Sarahf12

Sarahf12 PetForums Newbie

How would you fix this?

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

O2.0 likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That's only going to make things worse. Charlie's clearly saying she's not happy at being around the children, and she's getting smacked and told off for it. Punish a dog for communicating and it makes it much more likely they'll stop growling and just go straight for biting.

Most dogs will bark when strangers approach, guarding their home is a natural instinct, and a lot of the time it's to tell the owner/other dogs there's someone who needs to have notice taken of them. Could a run be set up around the kennels? That should stop the dogs jumping the wall and going hunting. Or raise the height of the wall with netting or trellis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice