Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Basic food/vegetables to keep our dogs full

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Giraffe76, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Member

Hi all,

Can anyone tell us what vegetables (fresh or frozen) we can give our dogs to keep them fuller for longer and if they have frozen can they eat them frozen straight away or do they need to be cooked

Kind regards Mark

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I feed my dogs a lot of veggies mainly because it's cheaper than buying true hypoallergenic treats as all my dogs react to different foods. Here's what I give mine: (note:Feed only small amounts and start by cutting them up small as it's easier for them to digest).

Carrot: raw is best but lightly boiled/steamed is ok too

Sweet potato: dehydrated or boiled.

Squash/pumpkin: canned, boiled or dehydrated

Kale: raw

Broccoli: raw or lightly cooked

Green beans: lightly cooked but I guess raw is ok too but best get someone to verify that first.

Zucchini: raw

Spinach: raw

Parsnip and swede: cooked

Veggies higher in fibre is what you want to aim to use. My lot get a variety, normally what is left as 'scraps' but I do batches of cooked potato and squash then put it in the fridge for a maximum of 3 days. It doesn't last any longer regardless with 3 dogs and 4 hamsters.

Hope this points you in the right direction and gets you started :)

3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I feed bananas,raw carrot,raw swede,raw broccoli,apples,oranges,pears and mine also love the frozen berrie mixes I feed these straight from the freezer they also love frozen watermelon:)

Jason25 and wee man like this.
  4. MammaMia!

MammaMia! Pet Forums VIP

Mia loves green beans, carrot, banana, cucumber and goes absolutely mad for apples!!

We also put mashed potato in a kong for her as a treat but we make it ourselves as I was wary about what additives may be in the shop bought ones.

Oh and also, make sure all pips are taken out of apples as they contain traces of cyanide that could potentially be harmful to your pet. Better safe than sorry!

5. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Member

Thank you for everyones suggestions
    I really appreciate it

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice