Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

basic equipment for puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by emma_esplanade, Apr 29, 2011.

1. emma_esplanade

emma_esplanade PetForums Junior

hi, i am trying to get everything ready for when we get our puppy. as he is going to be a cross breed (border terrier/poodle) i know that i won't know what coat type he will have until he is a bit older but is there anything i can get for basic tools to get him used to being groomed. e.g. slicker brush/pin brush/conditioning spray etc. or even better has anyone had an experiene with this particular mix and what their coats were like because i know borders are stripped whereas poodles clipped so there's a conflict here!

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

He may have a wiry coat (therefore could be stripped or clipped), he may have a curly coat (therefore clipped) or he may have a blend of the two (probably best to clip in this instance).

I would recommend getting a slicker brush, a comb (if he starts to develop curls), and gentle puppy shampoo.

Be aware that if he does grow a curly coat, it will matt very easily so you need to keep on top of brushing daily or every other day. :)

3. emma_esplanade

emma_esplanade PetForums Junior

thank you for your reply. want to start young regardless of the coat type as i think if they are used to being handled and groomed regardless of coat type it makes vet trips etc easier! slicker and comb it is :)

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I'd get a pin brush to be honest, as well as a slicker, as slickers are quite prickly for pups :)

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Oh!! Never knew they existed :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice