Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barricades

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gwen9244, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

The kittens how now discovered the stairs. Unfortunately we have an open landing and we think that one of them may have jumped down (or been pushed by her sister!). Can anyone recommend anything we could put up across for balustrades so that they can't get through?

Thanks

Gwen

2. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

How about opening up some big cardboard boxes and weaving the cardboard through?

3. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

I have an open tread staircase, i was a nervous wreck when i got he girls.

They seemed so tiny trying to climb them, poking their heads thru the treads, hanging off the steps :eek.

But the anxiety was all mine , they are cats they knew their own limits :)
    and now they are 6mnths and 7.5mnths ,they use them frequently as some kind of olympic track !!!! and tho i still hold my breath i know they will be ok .... :)

4. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

Is she hurt ?

5. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

It was Tilly that jumped/fell. She looked a bit shocked but didn't cry when I picked her up. She seems fine if a little subdued.

6. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

We have also have an open landing and a few weeks after we got Nancy she jumped through the bars :eek: I was expecting a trip to the vets but she was completely fine.

7. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

I'm sure she will be ok Gwen , just keep an eye on her. Cats are incredibly intelligent (most anyway) ... Hopefully it will be a case of once bitten twice shy , most do learn from their over zealous activities :)

8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

When I have a litter of kittens I have an opened out cardboard box as a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs. Once they have mastered that I put cushions on the table which is directly below my bannisters. I've had no accidents so far with kittens falling down though they do poke their heads through the rails and worry me to death :eek:
    I have thought of weaving an opened box through the rails but I worry they would just try to climb on it and fall through.
    ETA I hope Tilly is non the worse for her fall

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice