Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barney Comes Home Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IndysMamma, Jan 26, 2012.

1. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

so so sooooooo excited

Was originally next week as he turned 9 weeks on Monday but I can have him a couple days early

I need advice for first night as we did it wrong with Max - when he cried I snuck him onto my bed as a teeny pup - now we are keeping my room as the cats 'safe room' away from him (they get fed there, sleep there and so on)

We want Barney to sleep in the kitchen - at least until house trained - have crate set up with a snuggle bed (can pop a heat pad in it if it's bitter cold) and newspaper and I have a Ruff & Tuff rubber treat toy (kinda like the Kong) to settle him with, he'll also have his Snuggle Bug that smells of his family and again takes a heat pad so warm and snuggly to settle down with

If he starts *really* crying/howling - do I just go sit in the room with him til he's asleep and sneak out? how long do I ignore him/let him cry if he does start?

have only been home from hospital since last night so probably not the best time to bring him home for me but I have my mum and big bro for support

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Very excited for you :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Sorry to be no use to you but I wouldn't have a clue about the proper thing to do :eek: I ignore kittens but I don't think it's quite the same as a crying puppy - good luck with him anyway :thumbup1:

3. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

I think you'll get a lot of different answers on this one so it's really up to you how you deal with it but this is what I did when we first got Alfie.

I slept downstairs on the sofa for 3 weeks until he was going through the night without needing toilet breaks.

The day we got him home we started the crate training... ie. throwing treats in there for him to find, treating him every time he went in on his own accord. Luckily he'd been in a crate at his breeders (albiet with his litter mates) so it wasn't a new concept for him. We had a blanket that smelt of mum and the litter so I think that helped too. Every nap he had that day I transferred him into the crate (if he hadn't nodded off in there already) and gently closed the door.

That first night he went to sleep at about 10.30pm (on my lap) so into the crate he went and I turned the lights off then, in the hope it would help him learn the difference between day and night times. He slept until about 1.00am then woke up wimpering... took him out to the toilet and let him play until he fell asleep on me again, then popped him back in the crate. He woke again at about 3.00am and 5.00am and we did the same.

After 3 nights of this I was knackered :p Bearing in mind he was playing again until he was tired for about 45 minutes each time and I decided enough was enough! On night 4 (and I then wished I'd done it from night 1!) I popped him back in the crate after his toilet break, closed the door, turned off the light (I'd only put it on very low so I could see where I was going) and ignored him. He cried for about 20 minutes and then fell asleep. Next time for about 10 minutes, then eventually not a peep.

One more thing I will add (and sorry if I'm saying something you already well know :eek:), when you do let out for toilet trips don't say much at all, no big fuss, just out to the loo, a quick and quiet "good boy" and pop a treat in when he goes and then quietly back to the crate.

HTH :)

4. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

I bet your really excited:D good luck with everything:)

This is what I do at nights..from the moment they come home I makesure they understand the crates are enjoyable and their space. I praise them every time they go in by themselves and give them enjoyable things in there like toys/filled kongs.:)

In the nights, I put them in crates at bed time and get into bed (the crates are in my room). Any noise and I first put my hand to the crate with a soft, gentle 'Shh' if they continue then I pick them up and take them outside onto the lawn-I don't make a fuss or talk to them, I simply quietly pick them up and onto lawn. I let them do their stuff and take them back upstairs still no noise, I then put back in crate and close the door:). I don't make a big deal or talk to them as i don't want them to think noisy at night=attention. Just how I do things, not nessisarily the right way:) different things work for different people:)

Best of luck, pictures will be needed!;) :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice