Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barlow's Disease (Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Loubielou, May 11, 2010.

1. Loubielou

Loubielou PetForums Newbie

My 7 Month old Sprocker, Alfie, was recently taken ill, he was shaking, whining, couldn't walk...to sum it up he was a pretty sorry state, poor lamb :((

We took him to the local animal hospital who admitted him overnight (Turning away and leaving him behind reduced me to a blubbering wreck...especiallywhen he turned those big spaniel eyes on me :(). The next moring they told me that it had been diagnosed as Barlows Disease and that he could get re-lapses between now and reaching maturity but should be fine after reaching that stage.

Now..I'm a little confused, I thought Barlows Disease was a large breed health issue?? _i.e Great Danes, German Shepherds etc. Is it heard of at all in the smaller breeds?:confused:

We brought him home and followed the vets instructions and at the moment he is back to his usual mega-hyper nutty lovley self, but I've been mulling the diagnosis over and over. I know that there must be a vast range of experiences on this forum so I have decided to pick your brains about this. Does anyone know of it happening in the smaller breeds? Is it more likely to be a misdiagnosis that requires a second opinion? Any replies would be welcome as this has left me a bit baffled

2. rona

rona Guest

I hope you get some answers to this.
    Unfortunately it's not something I know anything about

3. Loubielou

Loubielou PetForums Newbie

Thankyou Rona, looks like it's just as baffling to everyone else as it is to me!:D

Never mind, I guess we shall just have to see if he does indeed relapse, if so then I suspect the vets diagnosis will be correct....if not, then great!

4. rona

rona Guest

Good luck hope all goes well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice