Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lows, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Lows

Lows PetForums Newbie

So my GSD has always been an anxious/protective dog and barks. However lately she’s getting worse and is barking at everything and nothing. I get that barking normal, but I’m looking for training advice to get her to stop when I say stop. She’s a German shepherd, she’s going to bark and protect I get that; but she can just go on and on and I’d like her to stop when I tell her stop.

I am thinking of maybe getting a professional to help, but we can’t afford one at the moment so any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

HI , sorry to hear of the problem with your dog.
    Could you explain the circumstances in which she barks , is it at home or on walks , is it other dogs or people she barks at. How old is she?

GDs can be sensitive dogs , it sounds like she is reactive and fearful .
    Im hoping @Sairy will see this and will have some advice for you.

LinznMilly, Lows and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lows

Lows PetForums Newbie

It’s in the house, she may hear something outside and bark, or she’ll see a reflection in the front door and bark. When the blinds are open and she sees people walk past, even if they’re on the other side of the road, she’ll bark. When she’s in the garden she could hear people walking past the house or hear next door and she’ll bark. It’s literally anything and I know it can be in their nature, I just want to know how to get her to stop when I say.

kimthecat likes this.
  4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

What do you do when she does bark? Have you tried anything specific so far to get her to stop barking?

5. Lows

Lows PetForums Newbie

she’s also 3 years old
    When I tell her quiet and when she does, I give her a treat but she just goes right back to it. I’ve tired distracting her with a ball, but I guess that’s a mistake as she probably thinks I’m rewarding her. I’ve tried taking her from the situation, so if she doesn’t bark out the back I bring her straight inside, if she barks at people walking past the house I close the blinds.

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Ideal would maybe be tell her ‘That’ll do’, or whatever, call her away from the window/door, give her praise and a treat for leaving it, then send her to her bed for a short while. Maybe give her another treat when she’s on her bed, to reinforce.

The scenario to work towards is; she alerts you because that’s her job. You call her away and check out the ‘threat’ and she accepts that you’ve fixed it.

7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Oh I see. I sympathise. Jack russels can be noisy wotsits too. :D

I put adhesive vinyl used for shelf covering on the bottom of my back door which was a great help as they cant see the cats and squirrels. I dont know how practical it would be for you to do that on your front door etc as GSDs are obviously a lot taller.
    They cant see out the front windows but they do bark when they hear dogs go by .
    I taught my dogs Quiet which works pretty well unless someone knocks at the door. I did this by saying Quiet and a finger to the lips sign' when they were actually were already quiet and then reward , Say it when they are relaxed at any time , its easier for them to make the association between the command and the behaviour that way.

It has to be really reinforced before you use the command otherwise she could carry on barking.

LittleMow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice