Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by snoopy1239, Apr 10, 2011.

1. snoopy1239

snoopy1239 PetForums Junior

I'm trying to teach my dog to bark and stop barking on command by using a technique advised by my vet whereby you first teach it to bark a certain number of barks, and then teach it to stop by inserting the command before the final bark.

However, I am having trouble getting out of the blocks because I can't get my dog to bark. I've tried making noises, banging stuff, going crazy in front of him and even barking myself, but to no avail. The only thing he will bark at is the door bell, but he only does this on the first time, which is not enough for him to make a connection.

Any ideas for how to get a dog to bark?

2. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Why do you want to teach him to bark?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

What breed is he? Some breeds unless they are a guarding or Watch dog breed dont bark that much, You said he barks when the door bell rings but only once at first. People usually have the opposite problem of dogs barking too much and they cant stop them. Is there any reason why you want him to bark more?

4. Lucas1233

Lucas1233 PetForums Newbie

I'm really not sure, but if he barks at doorbells maybe a dog whistle ?

5. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

In my more advanced pet classes all the dogs are taught to speak, all dogs in our competition classes are also because it is one of the exercises in working trials.
    Teaching speak is just like teaching any other exercise, and it can be taught to all breeds, although guarders and herders are a lot easier.
    you do need a dog that really wants something food or a toy, tie the dog up and mess about with the thing just out of reach, for any slight sound or puffing of the mouth reward, the higher the frustration the quicker the dog will learn the speak.
    However this will not work if there is nothing your dog perceives as high value, you would need to work on that first.

7. snoopy1239

Because if I can teach him to bark on command, it makes it easier to teach him to stop barking on command.
    BVDT.NET Obedience Training Articles - Teaching “Speak” and “Quiet”

He's a Hungarian Puli. Yes, he only really barks when he's guarding. When I say "once", I mean that he will only bark at the door bell once (i.e. one occasion, not one bark). The next time I (or anyone) ring it, he's silent.

He loves cheese, so I tied him up and put it out of reach, but after trying to get to it for a while, he just gave up and lay down. He sort of whimpers, but doesn't bark. He barks to guard, but not to get what he wants.

#7 snoopy1239, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  8. billie jo

billie jo PetForums Member

I had a helluva job teaching Billie to 'speaks.' It's important for us to get our dogs to bark. Some idiot who had Billie before me, had taught her to bite first, then bark - Not Good! Anyways, I would make a fist to my mouth (idea behind that is, if she saw a fist she would bark) and say, 'speaks.' This went on for weeks! But eventually she got there! She's very food orientated, so the very first little bark, straight in with a treat for her! Worked! Now, when she sees a fist, she barks. She did bark in her carrying cage in the van, so I started using that at first, with the command word and then the treat. Timing has to spot on too. Good luck - Simples - oh God she'll want to be a Meerkat next! lol

9. littleBichon

littleBichon PetForums Member

I can get Harry to 'speak' by holding cheese or tuna in my hand and not letting him get to it he makes little mouthing movements and then I give the command Speak just before he barks and reward, BUT I cannot get him to understand 'shhh' we're working on it at the moment but 'speak' came a lot easier for us than 'shhh' I wish he would only bark to guard and not to get something, its really frustrating.

Good Luck with your training, im afraid I have no advise as like I say its getting Harry to shut up thats our problem not getting him to bark :lol:

10. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

You need to be feeding for the wimper, it will come.

11. snoopy1239

Blimey. After a lot of time and effort, and a dogged (ahem) refusal to give up, we finally had out eureka moment last night.

He hadn't eaten much that day and was due his din dins and was clearly very hungry, so I grabbed some cheese and tried to ignore him. He was very jumpy and really wanted the cheese, but wouldn't bark. After a while, he would jump for a bit, wrestle my arm, then just give up and lie on the floor, maybe a slight disgruntled whimper, but not quite a bark.

I must have kept trying this (walking into different rooms to perk him up again) for almost an hour, until finally he did it. It may have been coincidence, but I think he responded to me woofing at him, and making sure he was sitting and not lying. Every time he lay down, I told him to stand and moved to a different spot in the room and then woofed (yes, I looked and sounded as silly as you think).

It seemed to work. As soon as he did it once or twice, he quickly made the connection and now he's really good at it.

What I'm going to do now is get him to bark twice for the treat, then three, and then apply the stop barking command before the last bark, so hopefully that approach will work.

One question I have now, I guess, is does it matter what the don't bark command is? My girlfriend suggested "shush", but I thought that sounded slightly wishy washy and he might not respond to the tone. What do you guys use?

Many thanks for the responses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice