Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Barking when playing with other dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by AmiePL, Apr 9, 2019.

1. AmiePL

AmiePL PetForums Newbie

Hello ☺️ I have an 18 month old Labrador who is usually very well behaved and quiet, however when he is playing with other dogs (usually my mum's 3 who he knows very well) he barks non stop. Particularly with the two older dogs and he will always bark if I give them any attention. Does anyone know of any training techniques to prevent him from barking so much when he's playing and to reduce what I'm assuming is jealousy over the other dogs?

DSC_3789.JPG

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

He's very handsome. Dogs bark, dare I say? I don't think you can train out of him what is probably just excitement (nor would I want to, personally - he's just having fun.) With regard to the barking when you fuss other dogs, you could just ignore him and when he stops barking then make a fuss of him. He should learn that barking gets him no attention, but when he;'s quiet he gets the attention he's probably looking for. Certainly don't respond to him (teling him 'no' or whatever) as that is giving him the attention he's probably seeking. In both cases, however, he may just grow out of it. At 18 months, he's still a youngster, really.

3. AmiePL

AmiePL PetForums Newbie

Thank you I agree I love to see him playing and I do expect it to get a bit noisy ☺️ it has just become constant and the other dogs are starting to look more irritated than wanting to join in. I'll definitely try ignoring him when he's barking, he certainly gets plenty of fuss normally so it is likely he is doing it for attention. Thank you again for your advice ☺️

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

If the other dogs don't like it, they'll make that clear one way or another - if they stop playing with him, he may eventually work out the key!
    All the best.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe teach a “quiet” in other circumstances which he might respond to when playing (though it might be difficult to get his attention if he’s excited ;)).

I wouldn’t want other dogs to be telling him off if he’s not recognising their signals that he’s getting too much in case it gets out of hand though.

Getting the group to stop and calm down for a few minutes if it’s getting manic might help too - they should all learn that OTT behaviour = game over.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

.......as Labradors so frequently fail to do.

7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I feel like you've got two different behaviours happening.
    First behaviour is being excessive during play dog-on-dog, as previous posters have mentioned.

But then there's this part as well:
    Specifically rather than jealousy as you've termed it, would be classed as the start of resource guarding. Only, rather than food or toys, the resource in question is human attention from 'his' person. Definitely something to try and nip in the bud to prevent escalation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice