Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking - Please help, first time dog owner.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bella Bella, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Bella Bella

Bella Bella PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    We adopted Bella from a rescue center 3 weeks ago, she's a yorkie x poodle and is 9 months old. In the last 4-5 days, she has started to obsessively bark (sometimes whines too), jumping onto the sofa, then up onto the lounge windowsill to look through the net curtains. Any movement outside, be it a person walking by/dog/cat/bird or even reflections on the windows, she starts to growl a little and then goes into full blown barking.

There's no sudden appearance, you can see people as they come up towards the house (we live at the top of a green). If I leave her she'll eventually jump to the carpet and run around the downstairs wanting to get outside. If I try and move her off the windowsill she'll try and bite my hand. If I do get her down she'll try and jump back up. If I stand in her way and say no she gets even worse and the barking escalates. She does not respond to treats or toys as she is so keyed up about what she can see/hear. If theres no one there she'll either be up on the windowsill scanning for moving things or will nap up there - she started doing that 2 days ago.

I just don't know what to do next, my children are getting scared and upset and hubbie is getting cross from the constant noise. I had to walk her at midnight last night as she got fixated on something out of the window and I couldn't get her to stop barking and the kids woke up and cried.

The barking also happens if she can hear people outside in the back garden or if she can hear noises from next door. Thought about moving the sofa but she would be able to jump up anyway as its quite low down.

She sleeps with me in the lounge at night (thought it would help to settle her in), sometimes on the sofa and sometimes in her dog bed. Maybe it's best if I keep her in the kitchen with a baby gate so she can still see us but not be able to get to the window, although she will then hear noises outside of the backdoor (we keep it open as much as possible as she is still peeing/pooping a little bit in the house).

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what I am doing wrong or what I could try and do to make things better, then any question/comment would be very gratefully received!

Thanks x

2. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

Not much help perhaps...but have you contacted the people from the rescue centre and talked about the problem? They usually have a behaviourist working alongside them who assessed the dog.

Since there are children in the house and she isn't averse to snapping you really need to find a solution ASAP.

Call them. Hopefully they have a great suggestion on how to best tackle this.

3. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your having a hard time with Bella.

You could try teaching 'bark' and 'quiet'.
    I would probably pop her on a lead and remove her from what she is barking at, try to get her focus on you with treats, toys etc and distract her from whatever she is barking at. Reward her when she is quiet. Hope this helps.

4. Bella Bella

Bella Bella PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your comment, I rang the center 2 days after we had her as she was frantically scratching her ears (wasn't sure if that amount of scratching was normal) and also about previous flea treatment but they were really dismissive - their job was to rehome animals after that it would be down to us. Its not one of the main rescue centres so I'm not sure if they had a behaviourist. Will ring them again though now and see what they say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice