Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking inside of car !!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kittysoo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. kittysoo

kittysoo PetForums Member

We have recently aquired a rescued GSD to add to our dog family and have many problems that l am working on.

One really irritating problem is that when she is in the car and is nearing our destination to a favourite walk she is doing the yelpy excited bark and nothing will make her shut up. :eek: Also everytime we turn back into our road coming back home - she starts yelping and will not stop then either - the other dogs are fine.:)

I know its excitement but lve tried shushing her but she won't listen to me at all.

We literally announce our arrival into the street so causing a bit of constination to the neighbors not forgetting our hearing.:mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

2. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Put her in the car. Get in to the drivers seat. Start the engine. Get her out and go inside the house. Do this five times an hour for three hours over four nights.

Then on the odd occasion start the engine - another few nights.

Then drive about 10yrds and reverse back another few nights.

Keep building the monotony that getting in the car doesn't mean anything exciting and sometiems when you arrive somewhere it is where you were anyway and nothing is going to happen. Hopefully she won;t associate the car with exciting trips for too long.

miti999 likes this.
  3. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Oh this one is so familiar to me - my fella did this too :D. I blogged about it here and here is more on calm car manners.

4. kittysoo

kittysoo PetForums Member

thanx peeps will try anything as she has now escalated to barking all the time in the car in a matter of days. Told hubby off for yelling at her as sounds like h's joining in. :mad:

And l thought the terrorists were bad !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice