Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking in the garden - guarding??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WelshOneEmma, Apr 15, 2011.

1. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Seven pets thread has made me curious so thought I would ask!

In the last few months, when outside and someone walks past the garden (we have a 6 ft fence so its not people taunting) Piper has taken to barking. We think she learnt it from a friend's dog who does it when people are near their field. She also does it when out in the garden and the neighbours dogs are in their garden. Is this guarding? and how do I stop it, as its not helpful late at night when going out for a bed time wee!

2. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

basically... the barking is just to tell anyone " im here"

3. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Charlie used to do this at my mums house, since mocing to a terraced prop with nobody walking either side of the graden he has stopped.

I tried everything, but nothing worked!

Tried banging some pots to get his attention, tried water, got someone to walk past the fence and tried to keep him near me and ignore the person walking, but it never worked. He would even stop eating his dinner and bark at the fence!

In the end I just had to call him in to the house and let him calm down before letting him back out, but even that would take a couple of minutes.

Hope someone else comes up with some good ideas...

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I would fully recommend the technique I use with Ollie. Put a light lead on him (about 2 metres long), and let it trail on the ground. as soon as he starts barking, walk over to him silently, pick up the lead and take him inside. Let him cool down for a few minutes and then let him out again. repeat this and be consistent. He should get the message. :)

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Zipper barks at bird in the trees or on the roof, cats if they walk along the fence.
    If anyone walks past the back gate, if anyone is in the surrounding gardens.
    If any dogs or children are playing in the field at the back of the house.

Indoors he barks if any on goes past the front window, even if its the other side of the road :roll eyes:

When we are camping he barks at any dogs that go past our tent.

He's very Territorial :eek: The same dogs he'll be barking at as they pass our house if we go outside off lead in the field he'll play really nicely with.

We now send him to bed every time he barks - it's starting to work, however it's hard in my household to get Consistancy.

6. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I tried this with Charlie and it still didnt work. :lol:

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

The pups do this a little, mostly in response to next door's GSD, who is very noisy. They are brought in immediately as they wind themselves up a treat and get very excited. Silly babies! I think they would naturally bark lots but because Brig doesn't, they're learning not to.

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I usually go out, pick Hannah up and carry her back inside!!!:eek:

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mine doesnt bark a lot but like you, we have an enclosed garden and she sees that as hers and guards it.

I cant find anything that stops it so we ignore it totally but have a great recall in place. If she starts - "Heidi come" and she's in like a rocket to get her "special" treat. Make it something really tasty and only use it for that. Heidi comes in sometimes like her bum's on fire :D

There's a good chance she will have been to the toilet first - if not, by the time she goes out again it's ok.

10. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Oscar does this i just bring him in as i hate it when people let their dog bark and bark in the garden.

He is better and only does it at next doors cats now which is a territory thing so fair enough really ;)

It kind of is guarding but i think most dogs have that hard wired into them, its a territory thing rather than guarding as such.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice