Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking in the car!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Savahl, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Not sure how to approach this problem with buster!

Up til the last 2 months I have been a walker! Didnt own a car, so buster had minimum travel in cars until now!

The problem I have is not him barking at dogs, people or passers by - just barking when we arrive somewhere! He has twigged that the car means we are going somewhere different, or visiting family/friends and so the minute he recognises somewhere, or I start to slow down he starts barking!

I have been refusing to let him out until he has stopped barking, and sat his bum down, but all thats doing is making him quiet when i go to open the boot...for the time trying to park up or approaching said location i have a very loud car!!! What can I do????

2. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

I have the same problem. My dogs start barking long before they've even arrived. Usually by the time we have reached the location all of them are howling like a pack of wolves!:frown:

I've tried everything too.

Hope someone comes on with some novel suggestions!

3. Savahl

Savahl Guest

im wondering whether dap spray might help..... but its more excitement than anxiety so not sure

4. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

IF he is not barking during the journey then the motion of th world passing by is not stimulating him. As you say he is excited or apprehensive about what is about to happen or where he is going.

Have you tried putting him in the car, starting the engine, turning off the engine and getting him again?

What about getting him in the car, driving around the shortest block, pulling up outside your house and getting him out again?

It's similar to when you pick the lead up and the dog goes barmy as it knows that the walk is coiming and it's bouncing all over the place. If you pick the lead up and walk about in the hous ebut don;t actually go anywhere with the dog you decrease the expectation and excitement.

Could be worth trying.

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

good idea! Wish id thought of that while it was still cooler out!

6. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

have you tried distracting him with a toy????? like a kong to amuse him?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice