Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking Early In The Morning (18 week puppy)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Buggles, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Alfie is an18 week old Shih Tzu. We have had him since he was 10 weeks old. We use a crate with him. The very first night he went into his crate at 10pm, cried for maybe half an hour which was to be expected, and then slept right through until 7am! Bliss! This carried on for maybe 5 or 6 weeks (I've lost track of time!). Then gradually over the past few weeks he's started barking to wake us up. This started at 6:30am which is ok, we can handle that. Then it went to 6:15am, 6am, 5:30am, 5am and today's 4:40am. ARGH!

Now, before anybody says anything. Yes, we DO ignore him but in the end we have no choice but to give in to him. We have neighbours on both sides (terraced house) and the walls are paper thin (aren't they all!) We rent our house so we have to be careful with noise etc in case anybody decides to complain to our landlord and we get kicked out. So yes, we do eventually give in to his barking.

We take him outside for the toilet and wait for him to have a drink and then put him back into his crate. All of this without speaking to him.

He barks. and barks. and barks. and barks. You get the picture?

What can we do? We are all desperate for sleep and it's starting to affect family life, as the tiredness is causing arguments etc.

We have had dogs/puppies all our life and never experienced a dog going backwards!

In case anybody asks, his crate is under the stairs

2. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Hi. I have a 22 week old lab puppy and she was doing something very similar.... She would wake anything from 5am onwards.....As soon as I heard her bark I would get straight up and take her outside for her wee etc then put her straight back. She would then bark again, we were told to go back to her say " NO , QUIET" in our deep telling off voice...this did work after a few attempts. Just recently though she still wasnt settling back in her cage afterwards so now after her wee she has the run of the kitchen with her crate left open while I go back to bed and we dont hear a sound out of her ( touch wood )....hope this is any good for you...???? all last week though she wasnt waking until about 7 /8 am so has got a lot better xxx

3. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Mybe you could try move crate into bedroom or next to your room?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice