Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

barking collie

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lei, Mar 18, 2014.

1. lei

lei PetForums Newbie

Hi

Me and my boyfriend recently got a 4 and a half yr old male border collie. Although he has settled in really quickly with us and trusts us, he is unsure about other people and dogs. He barks at some people but not others and is the same with dogs, he likes some dogs but others he barks and growls at. There is a man who lives in our building and has a young son, ty our dog barked at them the first time he saw them when he was in the garden having a pee. Because he was barking the guy had an attitude problem and said he should be on a lead but he was in his own garden doing the toilet. Although i understand because he has a young kid, but it was dark and i dont know if thats why he barked at them. 1 or 2 weeks later he was on the couch with me and as the man and son went to their car he started barking at them for no reason i dont know why he doesnt like them. Tonight he was out for a pee and again he started barking at the man i just dont know if its a man thing. He id fine with my boyfriends dad, brother and friend.

I would really appreciate any advice. I know pets at home do coats for dogs to help with anxiety but i dont know if it would help.

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

If he doesn't like certain people why not just accept it and manage it?

If he is anxious on the whole then perhaps focus on working on this area.

Collies are a naturally wary/cautious breed.

Whenever dogs have a perceived "issue" I think that rather try to fix it we need to weigh up the breed traits/history vs what u can realistically achieve.

X

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

The guy you are referring to obviously has no clue about dogs and perhaps is not willing to understand.

Collies are highly perceptive and intelligent. Maybe he knows he isn't a dog person.

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I have to agree with the above. I know my rough is very much the same once they have a bark at something they don't like be it dogs people etc; They remember it for ever and will bark everytime. It does improve I just say to my boy now your fine and walk pass the object of the bark. So work on the things your collie likes doing and enjoy.

5. DL89

DL89 PetForums Junior

Hey

Would it not just be a case of slowly counter conditioning and desensitising the dog to people and dogs in order to stop the unwanted behaviour ? Im new to this so correct me if im wrong.

I have the same problem with my 4 month GSD. She will bark at another dog on a walk and will pull towards him/her. The same with people. She also does this at puppy class, but its just exitement and frustration. When she gets to meet the other dogs in class she play around and then calms down. I was hoping to overcome this issue with counter conditioning and desensitising ...

Best
    Dan

6. Steve Wisley

Steve Wisley PetForums Junior

I think dogs judge people and other dogs by mannerisms. It could be your neighbor is just not on your dog's wave length. I would let your dog know that it is ok and the neighbor belongs there. It could be in time your dog will accept the neighbor and maybe not. My next door neighbor has boxers and they have never gotten used to me working out in the yard. They always bark, but the neighbors always let them back in the house instead of showing them it is ok. That may be the problem.

7. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Our 3 go ape at visitors, till the person speaks to them, then its all wags and kisses.....god help us if a burglar talks to em

invite the chap to speak to the dog, the barking may just be an expression of interest, one of ours hates anyone in a hiviz vest though

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I think it is usually worth working through a behaviour modification programme.

But people have to be realistic. Far to many people think they can solve every behaviour, which you can't.

Dogs are as individual as people.

This dog may be able to overcome this problem. But then again maybe not.

So yes you can try but people just expect miracles and often when the dog can't change they get rid of it rather than accepting its limitations and working within their parameters. (Generally not referring to the op )

9. DL89

DL89 PetForums Junior

hmm... I really hope I can change my dogs behaviour through positive reinforcement only

It would be impossible to walk her if I accept it. Another major issue which I still cant stop is her biting as mentioned in my thread. That really has to stop. She now bites when I even touch her collar. However during a training session using the clicker she will let me handle her all over and doesnt do anything ...but as soon as the training session is over she goes back to biting. Its really frustrating. We are towards the end of our puppy class course but during the class she is just constantly lunging and pulling towards other puppies and people. Its not aggression at all shes just way too exited and over friendly ....

Dan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice