Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking at the TV

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mrsaarvark, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mrsaarvark

mrsaarvark PetForums Newbie

I have a 3 1/2 year old Yorkie who barks at the most obscure things on TV mostly adverts. Any ideas on how to discourage this behaviour? I have tried the commands LEAVE and ENOUGH, not sure where to go from here.:nonod:
    Thanks.

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Victoria Stilwell had one like these on one of her programmes. What happened was that every time the dog barked, all the people got up and went into another room without him. It took a while, but he eventually got the message.

Might be worth a try.

3. Stellabella

Stellabella PetForums Senior

I've just bought a Thundershirt for exactly that.
    The trouble was, it wasn't a long enough bark to actually get up and leave, but a short really loud sudden bark that made us all jump out of our skins. We tried other things too, and in every other respect her response to commands is brilliant, it was just that our nerves were in shreds lol!

The Thundershirt really has helped, and we have even sat through animal programmes, which was impossible before. We put it on her when we have our evening meal which is usually when the tv goes on, then she will sit with us. She's a real tv watcher too, which doesn't help :rolleyes:

It's definitely worth a try, and there's a good money back guarantee if it doesn't work!

4. theothersparticus

theothersparticus PetForums Senior

Could you be confusing him by using different commands?

newfiesmum has reminded me of another 'It's me or the dog' episode where there were 3 little dogs barking at everything, she started by saying 'STOP' firmly and treating when they looked at her, after a while they would run to Victoria/ the owner when they said it and they stopped barking at noises, etc. Would this work for you?

5. mrsaarvark

Thanks for all the useful tips, not sure what the thundershirt is, but will certainly try the other suggestions. I could have confused him with different commands, he is a sensitive soul. And yes, I jump out of my skin everytime he "attacks" the TV.:yikes: So need to persevere. :)
    Thanks folks. xx

6. pixieloulou1982

pixieloulou1982 PetForums Junior

May I suggest not actually using a word, but instead a loud noise like a clap, or a simple "eh!". I know with collies (not experienced with Yorkies) That when excited dogs have "selective" hearing and can confuse words. Another tip would be after you have told him off, move him to another room, or you yourself leave the room. This way your little dog will think, "Oh....when I do this Mummy leaves me."

ON a side note my dog tries to chase cars and lorries when they appear on TV and gets very confused to why they are trapped in this odd square box.

7. mrsaarvark

I am using the word stop and praising him when he does, early days but seems to be working to some degree. He certainly has selective hearing:smile5:, like a small child lol. Thanks again for all comments.

8. As long as it isnt the case that your dog is barking becasue it is bored and that is the only way to get your attention.....Only you can know that.... sometimes its hard to fit in a dogs needs in a busy life.

As long as that is not the case then you might find linking the dogs unwanted behaviour to something the dog doesnt particularly enjoy might help - its important not to hurt, firghten or punish the dog , as its not actually doing anything "wrong" its just doing something either in reaction to what its senses are telling it is stimulating, or as an attention seeking behaviour.

Why not try this.. as soon as your dog barks, say out loud "oh you want me to examine your teeth? Ok i can do that" and then examine the dogs teeth,. or look down his ears. If you always say it out loud and are utterly CONSISTENT then the dog will hopefully learn that its barking, brings about this rather irritating response from you. Also, the words "Oh you want me to look in your ears" will become a cue for the dog to shut up or have his ears checked out.

Let me know how you get on and good luck! Denise

9. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Turn the TV off, it is mind numbing and crap anyway.

10. Sorry I hadnt seen your last post when I posted my previous response .... Duh! If its working, then its working = brilliant welll done! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice