Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

barking at the door

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sailor, Jan 4, 2012.

1. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Dogs bark when people knock on the front door, dogs bark when they see someone through the window, dogs like to bark alot when it comes to the home and protecting their family.

I always thought it was a default setting for all dogs, I have never owned a dog that didnt bark in such a manner... til I got Sailor!

Sailor has never barked when he has seen someone in our garden and he has never barked when someone has knocked the door. I thought he was unique.. but Ace doesnt either!

Sailor will however bark if he is looking through the window and sees someone knocking at my neighbours door ... and he will even alert me to the dangerous fox that occasionally prowls in the back garden late at night!

He will even warn me if the Children have gotten out of bed in the middle of the night...

When I say bark, Sailors bark is more of a pathetic cant be arsed grumble with a manly yap attatched to it. I never heard him bark intil he was 6 months old, I was starting to think he was mute at one point!
    I guessed this was a rottweiler trait as I read they only bark when really needed and even then its a forced bark. But all the Rottweilers nearby seem to have a lovely bark and do bark at people coming onto the property, or walking past it!

:skep: is Sailor broken? :shocked:

Has anyone else got a dog who doesnt bark at the normal things that dogs bark at, but will bark at the random stuff! :rolleyes:

What are your dogs like when it comes to barking? Are they relentless with letting everyone know they are there... or are they practically barkless?

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Willow hardly barks at all, she has never barked at people walking past or the front door.

She will bark if the crate door isnt open enough for her to get in it though!

She has also barked twice in the garden, once was when there was a van parked outside and she could see the top of it over the fence
    and another time was a dark windy horrible night and she wouldnt stop barking at something at the top of the garden nor come in, I had to go and investigate, fearing the worst when I could see something poking over the fence, still not able to make out what this was I carefully went up the garden and to the fence, unsure of what I might find ..,. it was a bloody leaf!! just a big leaf that had got stuck and blowing in the wind

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ PetForums Senior

LOL - Dexter not only barks but practically howls when anyone comes either to our door, or approaches the house beside ours.

He also barks when spooked by things - namely horses, motorbikes, open umbrellas (he's still a bit reactive but we're improving).

He was the MOST silent dog when he first came to me, no barking, nothing.

However a year and a half on and he's very vocal. He has an entire range of sighs, mumblings, whimpers, yelps and barks and I know what each of them mean now :D

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Woody is the first dog that Ive had that actually barks:rolleyes:

But he barks at the strangest things, his reflection, at the garden when theres nothing there, and at me when Im not looking at him:rolleyes::confused::confused:

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dixie used to be Awful for barking at stupid stuff! She would bark if a strange car was parked outside our window (when we lived right on the pavement) or people walking too slowly past.

Here she will bark if she is looking out the window and sees someone walking (I dont let her look out) or she will bark at bang noises.

They all bark at the door but stop when I tell them.

Dave looks out the window a lot, he whill whine if he sees someone going to next doors door, and depending who it is (how well he knows them) he will get up and run to the door if anyone is coming up our path.

I think Xiva just coppies whoever is doing something lol.

6. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

when i first got sophie i was told she had never barked
    she didnt bark for about the first 6 weeks i had her but one day when the door went and i said whats that!? she let out her first bark (must admit i felt a little proud :eek: ) and she gave herself a fright even though it was a tiny bark hehe she then got praise now anytime i say to her whats that in a certain tone she will bark and when i say go see she will run to the door to see who it is. she wont bark at things she sees, but will if she hears a bang or the door.

i wanted her to bark tbh i know shes no guard dog or anything like that but i do feel if anyone was to attempt to break in or anything then a bark is a good enough deterint as they dont know whats behind the door. shes now mastered a lovely big bark :)

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo didn't really bark until he was about 6 or 7 months old; then went through a stage of barking at all sorts of things, thanks to the little 'darlings' in the village who used to torment him :mad5:.

Now, he barks at the door, at cats in the garden when they are daft enough to come in, at anyone approaching the property and not too much else - he very rarely barks when out and about (apart from the first couple of days we moved here and Kilo was all discombobulated and lots of people and things got barked at!).

He has a great big bark that sounds quite scary which I don't mind as I am on my own so much.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie didn't bark until she was at least 6 or 7 months old either. Her bark is really big for her size, she's not a little yapper! :eek:

Her biggest thing to bark at is the cat :frown2: which we're working on, but otherwise I don't really have a problem with her barking. She'll bark at the door but only once or twice until she remembers to be excited that someone has come to visit :rolleyes: She'll bark at noises that surprise her and she'll sometimes bark at other dogs barking, but only at home, never when we're out. The best thing is she'll bark if she hears someone moving around at night. Yes it means I sometimes get woken up if someone in the house gets up to go to the toilet or whatever, but I like the fact she'll alert me if anyone tried to break in :eek: Oh and she'll bark when her ball rolls under something and she can't get it out :rolleyes:

9. choclabwoody

choclabwoody PetForums Member

Mine barks at the slightest noise and wont stop until he has gone to have a look. Normally he will let me know and no matter what I say he keeps on barking until he investigates.

He does bark at the door when there is someone there and most times it's because he wants to see who is there and greet them. As soon as I open the door he is all over them so I have to shout first about the dog and hold on to him. Again something that needs to be worked on.

Apart from that he doesn't really make any noise, even outside on walks.

10. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I canr eally relate to this -

Millie was 10 months when we got her - I didnt hear her bark until she was 15 months old :eek: We were also thinking we have a mutest dog :eek::frown2:

She is definately the quiet observant type.

The only way I could get her to bark was to play with the hose and get her excited chasing it - Then I added the work 'Speak' to it. She will now bark on command. But she doesnt really bark otherwise.

She doesnt bark at the door, doesnt really bark at other dogs even if they bark at her :shocked: We walk past a house where the JRT goes mental at the window, Millie looks and 'sighs' dramaticly! I swear she just cant be bothered with all this barking :frown2:

The only time Millie barks or grumble growls is when she is asleep onthe sofa and someone walks past outside and wakes her suddenly. But this is a under her breath 'gggrrrrrrrrrr' as a pose to a loud reaction.

Millies does have a lovely loud bark - She just saves it for special occassions :thumbup1:

11. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Neither of my dogs barked at the door to begin with, so I trained them to bark at the door :)

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh I meant to say, I've tried to teach Kenzie 'speak' and she gets the idea that I want her to make a noise, but the most she does is a quiet grumble! Sometimes she just moves her mouth and makes a sound that's barely audible! :skep:

13. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

Barking is for signaling purposes only, not defense. Festus has very high guarding skills (we don't really want them since we got him as a pet, but that's it) and he barks when he wants to tell us we have to be more alert. if he is alone he doesn't bark.

he barks or growls only if unknown people pass by the door, after a week in a new home he identifies the neighbors and he doesn't bark at them (we moved 2 times and this happened every time). we always staid in flats so I can't tell how he will react if we would move in a house and somebody would come into the front garden. but nobody could enter into the apartment uninvited, this is sure :)

14. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

My rescue cavs doent bark but Havoc who i had from a pup does so wonder if they got shouted at for making a noise. Folly used to cower down when the others barked when i got her.Ollie isnt a barker but Koda is and lets me know if the next door neighbour sneezes. I am really lucky that they are so understanding and they tell me off if they hear me telling Koda to be quiet saying thats what dogs do even though they doent have any animals at all.Briggs found his voice a couple of months ago but tends to bark for a good reason one night he wouldnt shut up so in the end i got out of bed to tell him off ao find he was telling me i had left Fat Cat out and he wont use the cat flap and was sitting by the door waiting for his servant to open the door for him

15. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Alfie barks a LOT and it's actually rather starting to do my head in now :eek:

He barks at his reflection in windows/the telly. He barks at his toys :confused: He barks if anyone is in the street and he can see them through the window. He barks like a maniac if anyone knocks the door (which I don't mind too much about). He barks in the garden at cats, squirrels, leaves blowing, neighbourhood dogs etc etc (I always get him in if he doesn't stop though, before anyone asks ;))

The worst though is his barking at people when we're out. I'm sure he's just saying 'hello' as his tail is wagging like crazy and if they come and fuss him he stops immediately and wiggles his bum in excitement. But it's not very nice is it? Just randomly barking at poor, innocent passers by :( His bark is really loud and deep too, he sounds at least twice as old and twice the size he actually is.

16. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

My Rotties don't bark often. It has to be a "new" noise to them, or something different, when we had some oil delivered a few weeks ago, the guy knocked at the front door and the dogs gave their loudest "gruff" of a bark, the guy was on the road, the other side of the gate in case they got out. Anyone coming to the front door they "gruff" but that's it. The terrier on the other hand is a different kettle of fish altogether!

The coal-lorry was backing its way down the track to our "neighbours" house, we have 6 foot fencing down one side of the garden, the cabin of the lorry was way above the height of the fence so the driver and passenger could see into our garden, Floyd the terrier was doing his crust, barking, running and chasing up and down the fence, the two Rotties just bounded up and down the garden, giving the driver and his passenger a real fright, but the big boys didn't make a noise, it was the terrier doing all the mouthy stuff.:rolleyes:

It can be off-putting seeing two big male Rotties standing with their chests puffed up and out, that's enough to put most people off, but the terrier is definitely the loudest, and he's the one to watch! :D

17. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Well that settles that then, Sailor is "normal" !!!

Last night with the winds being really strong again, Sailor actually barked at the wind in the middle of the night.. I thought it was odd because he doesnt normally bark at the weather no matter how ruff it gets.
    It was only a couple of feble grumble barks so I thought nothing much of it....

This morning I noticed all the felt roofing from the shed has been ripped off and theres a big black mark down my house where the felt roof collided, so thats what he had barked at! Not the weather, but the killer attack felt roof trying to get through the walls. And ofcourse once the felt roof had landed in the neighbours garden and was no longer attacking the house, thats when Sailor stopped puting effort into barking :lol:

I find it facinating now as to what Sailor decides he should and shouldnt bark at.

And as mentioned by someone else about there dog, it seems to be new noises that he cant see and especially at night when he is lay beside my bed and Im sleeping, where as if he is left to sleep in the kitchen away from me, he doesnt bother. Maybe he still thinks Im up and can deal with it.

What I would consider as something Sailor should need to give a warning bark for or show some interest atleast... he doesnt... and when I think there is no need, he thinks there is a need :lol:

I do feel for those with dogs who bark alot!
    Ace only really barks if I hold onto his tennis ball for too long, he just has to remind me to throw it. His bark is rather squeaky too, the sort that goes right through you lol

18. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Dougie rarely barks (I take it as payback for having a tibetan terrier before who barked incessently for no reason!) His proper mean sounding bark is only used if someone walks past the hedge at the bottom of the back garden. Other than that he has a certain bark if a toy has rolled under the sofa and he can't get it and a bark if my dad is at the front door - silly dog doesn't bark at anyone else at the door

19. AcornAntiques

AcornAntiques PetForums Member

Ben barked once and enjoyed it sooooo much he's yet to be quiet :rolleyes:

Kizzy on the other hand on really makes a noise when her and Ben are playing. Now and again though she does have the odd woof when someone she's not sure of gets too close to the car or house but that's about it.

Round this way though the noise from the pooches at least keeps the troublemakers away which is never a bad thing.

20. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

Blue will bark at Beamer if shes in her crate and hes stood nearby.
    If theres a dog barking on tv, she will bark, but its more of a muffled half hearted 'bruff.' not a 'WOOF'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice