Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Barking at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SEVEN_PETS, May 12, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hiya

Had an awful night last night with Ollie. We have foxes living next door, have done for a couple of years now and they come into our garden nearly every night so it isn't a new thing. Ollie barks at any strange noise or smell at night. Great, he will alert us of burglars. But he keeps hearing or smelling the foxes as they walk right past the house and it sets him off barking. Last night was unreal, a young fox walked up to our back door, I shouted at it out of my bedroom window, and it just sat like a dog and looked straight at me. :mad: Stupid fox so we spent the next 15 minutes chasing it out of the garden. Everytime we chased it out, it came back seconds later but eventually it got the message and moved on. Unfortantely, we can not get rid of the foxes or block them from coming in the garden as our cat uses the same pathways as the foxes and we can't block her in. Last night, when Ollie was barking, I told people in the house to ignore him, but they say they can't, so they were shouting at him to shut up and going up and down the stairs to see to him. Apparently, when they went to see him, once he got out of the crate, he went straight to them for comfort rather than running straight round to the back door to chase or scare the fox away.

We think he is scared of the foxes and is actually barking to get our attention to comfort him. Now we can't ignore the barking and we can't allow him to bark all night as we get no sleep, so we've come up with two options.

1. Tonight, we leave the downstairs light on so Ollie's not in pitch darkness (we think he may not like being in the dark) and if he starts barking, someone will go downstairs, not speak to him but just kip on the sofa until he falls asleep.

2. If he does bark tonight, he's coming up to my room to sleep tomorrow night as we can't let him bark as apparently, he's been barking for 3 nights now (i've only woken up to 1 night of it) and everyone's tired. He'll stay in my room from now on and then he will be comforted by me being in the room and he is unlikely to hear foxes moving around in the garden. Although our cat is upstairs so her bell will have to be taken off otherwise he would probably go mad at her being around.

Do you have any ideas for us to try? We have tried covering the crate, closing the living room door in case it was shadows that were setting him off, closing the kitchen door to try and block out any sounds of foxes out the back, leaving him outside of his crate in the living room, all to no avail.

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im sure youve probably tried it,but what about a radio or tv as a blank background noise,we humans tend to sleep through it but it can help an unsettled dog.
    I think youll probably have to try and sort the foxes out somehow.Maybe try and get your human males to wee on the areas around your house (or in a bottle ,then sprinkled around after lol),this can help deter them,as well as human hair (tied in old tights and secured to fences etc...ask a hairdresser if you can take some).
    Hope you get it sorted soon.

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

my parents won't leave a radio on and we can't leave the tv on all night either.

4. leashedForLife

having Ollie in Ur room is probly the simplest solution -
    i wouldn;t suggest him on the bed, tho - crated with the door closed/open as U please, and bedroom door closed,
    would limit sound from the rest of the house, + prevent the cat coming in to get him up/barking.

re the foxes -
    theres a nifty simple deterrent that is MOTION activated - i would turn it off days,
    or put it on a timer [if thats possible - i don;t know if it is].
    it attaches to the garden-hose + squirts the passing animal / person - the night-time intruder. its a short burst,
    so no danger of flooding the yard.
    ScareCrow Sprayer Automatic Animal Deterrent - FREE SHIPPING ON EVERYTHING WE SELL!

hope this helps,
    -- terry

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I doubt he is scared of them - almost all dogs seem to have an instinctive dislike of foxes and will chase, warn, and aggress towards them. What is his barking like? He may be barking to alert you, or barking to try and scare off the fox.

Having him in your room should help - if he barks you can get up, have a look out at the foxes then tell him it's ok and to go back to sleep.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I agree your bedroom sounds like your best option

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Thanks guys for your advice.

leashedforlife - I can't fit the crate in my room but he would have his own bed/duvet so hopefully he'll sleep on there rather than my bed. I don't like animals on my bed anyway, so i'll get him off if he does so he'll get the message. I'll have a look at that product, thanks for the suggestion.

merlinsmum - his barking has a growl at the end. it's sort of high pitched and then growls. I don't know if he's scared of them, but whatever his barks mean, it's still highly annoying and we have to stop it.

nellybelly - i agree personally. i like animals in my room (not on my bed), but the problem is once he stays up here for a night or two, he's unlikely to ever be able to sleep downstairs again as he will want attention and comfort from getting used to sleeping with us. I don't personally mind him in my room but if we have circumstances changed or the cat was setting him off for example, then we are well and truely stuck. it's a hard decision to make. we will give him one final chance tonight to sleep downstairs, but after that, he will have to be in my room.

it's strange really, he's nearly 2 years old, spent all his life sleeping his crate downstairs, but suddenly he is barking and has a real issue with the foxes. it's not like the foxes have suddenly arrived either, they have been around constantly for ages.

we have also given him another evening walk tonight to try and tire him out before bed, he's not going outside in the garden straight before bed, just in case he smells a fox and gets hyper (no point putting a hyper dog in a crate).

8. leashedForLife

hey, seven! :--)

just in case... if he roams, scratches at the door, etc, patrols the window/door, cannot stay off the bed - sneaks-up while U sleep, and so on - a tether can make it really simple.

Tethered to Success
    18-inches between the spring-clips is plenty; swivel-clips on both ends, an eye-bolt in the baseboard, simple;
    it keeps him on his bed + limits his ability to roam at night. (also U won;t step on him if U get up to pee ;) )

--- terry

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Well, last night he barked at the sound of foxes calling. so tonight, we are going to leave the radio on with him downstairs in his crate, but if that doesn't work, then he's up in my room.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Can't you fence your garden so the foxes are kept out, but the cat can climb in and out for instance up a tree trunk, jump onto a fence and down the other side? I've been fixing up my late mother's house where there used to be foxes coming through the garden. It now has 5 1/2 or 6 foot high fences all the way round and foxes no longer get in. Local cats still jump in from the fence tops. If I had a cat there, I would put in some kind of branched tree trunk near the fence to make it easier. Cats climb trees, foxes don't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice